• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water diverted to my building lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flytz311

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I own a vacant residential lot in a neighborhood that we intend to build a house on. The lot next to us and up hill already has a home built on it and a home owner. However the basement was getting flooded due to excess water coming from higher ground. The home owner pressured the builder to remedy the situation. And the county officials gave the builder a plan in which he was to create a swell in the back of the lot that would capture the water and bring it down the back edge of his property line. The only problem was that the stone filled swale ends on my property line and it now dumps at the back corner of my lot and comes across to the front of the lot where there is a drainage easement. I've talked with a grader regarding our floorplan and house placement and the recommended solution is to install a pipe down the property line from the back where the swale is to the front where it will continue on down the drainage easement. This will cost approximately $3100.00 So my question is who is liable for this solution? Builder, neighbor, county, or myself? And what course of action should I take?What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

flytz311 said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

I own a vacant residential lot in a neighborhood that we intend to build a house on. The lot next to us and up hill already has a home built on it and a home owner. However the basement was getting flooded due to excess water coming from higher ground. The home owner pressured the builder to remedy the situation. And the county officials gave the builder a plan in which he was to create a swell in the back of the lot that would capture the water and bring it down the back edge of his property line. The only problem was that the stone filled swell ends on my property line and it now dumps at the back corner of my lot and comes across to the front of the lot where there is a drainage easement. I've talked with a grader regarding our floorplan and house placement and the recommended solution is to install a pipe down the property line from the back where the swell is to the front where it will continue on down the drainage easement. This will cost approximately $3100.00 So my question is who is liable for this solution? Builder, neighbor, county, or myself? And what course of action should I take?What is the name of your state?

**A: the neighbor is responsible. And the word is swale.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">