• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just Diagnosed with cancer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CURIOUS1973

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

Hello: A close friend was just diagnosed with cancer. He had surgery and is afraid that he may lose his job which will ultimately lose his insurance that pays for his chemo treatments. He has exhausted his 12 week FMLA. Presentl, he is on Short-term-disability. He can't go back to work fulltime. He needs treatment for 6-9months or most likely he will become terminal in a short time. He has to have chemo treatments during the week. He can only maybe work partime hours. (20 hours a week)
My question: Is he being sensible or smart by going back to work and not staying on STD & not applying for LTD? Will they look at him as a liability and just fire him for a silly reason once he comes back?

Thank you in advance

rmet4nzkx

CURIOUS1973 said:
What is the name of your state? TEXAS

Hello: A close friend was just diagnosed with cancer. He had surgery and is afraid that he may lose his job which will ultimately lose his insurance that pays for his chemo treatments. He has exhausted his 12 week FMLA. Presentl, he is on Short-term-disability. He can't go back to work fulltime. He needs treatment for 6-9months or most likely he will become terminal in a short time. He has to have chemo treatments during the week. He can only maybe work partime hours. (20 hours a week)
My question: Is he being sensible or smart by going back to work and not staying on STD & not applying for LTD? Will they look at him as a liability and just fire him for a silly reason once he comes back?

Thank you in advance
If your friend is terminal he can qualify for Social Security disability which is separate and apart from his company's disability programs, some companies will deny LTD even after Social Security approves disability. It would be best for your friend to consult someone at their local Independent living center, they will have someone who can answer their questions or an attorney specializing in disability or employment law. Asking for ADA accommodations is another issue that the CIL folks can assist with.

BL

If the Freind is expected to be disabled 12 or more months , and interferes with substantial employment , He/She should apply NOW .

And from observing what my sister went through , it would be better to consult an SSI Attorney for free , and If the Attorney takes the case , it should be on a continginsy bases ( 25 % of back pay ) if ya win the case , nothing if lost .

There will posibly be appeals processes , to string it along .

My sister hardly got to enjoy ( if ya want to call it that ) any of Her benifits once received .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">