• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI resource question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

Colorado

My mom has been receiving SSI in Florida, but recently, due to my mom's health, I brought my parents to Colorado and would like for them to stay with us. Social Security Administration says that if my parents are staying, their apartment in Florida becomes a resource, my mom can receive benefits if we sing a form that entitles them to money back once we sell the property. If we say they are thinking of going back after my mom gets better, then the apartment is not counted as a resource.
What should we do?
If we say they are going to go back but they don't...
How does this work? please help, my parents need to receive the benefits because they don't have any other resources.
Thanks

High&Low

Your parents apparently do have 'resources' - their real estate holding, if this apartment is something they own. To do anything other than what SSI told you would be fraudulent, and I don't think anyone here can help you on this one.

BL

For the property to be exempt , they MUST live in it . No way around it ..

If they plan on staying with you sign the paperwork , so they can continue benifits , otherwise SSA may terminate their benifits .

The Gov. is NOT some entity to play with .

It is possible for them to receive benifits while the property is up for sale also .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">