• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gift?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hrickdeb

I live in NE, in 97 I loaned my sister $500.00 for christmas, there was not a written agreement or anything to prove I gave her the money or when she would pay me back. In Dec.99 my sister bought me a hope chest for my daughter I was to make her monthly payments. We got into a fight in July and haven't spoken, now she is threatening to take me to court if I don't pay her in full by the end of 00. We never had any kind of written agreement nor have I signed anything. Can she collect on this when she doesn't have proof (besides the bill) that it was a gift?

ALawyer

It will be her word against yours. That's proof enough, depending on who the judge believes. Quite frankly this is something you should get a third party, such as a clergyperson, to help resolve.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">