• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

'Tax Statement' ...?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rmayo

I have been approached by a group who claims that you can files a "Tax Statement" instead of a 1040 and that you don't don't have to pay federal income taxes. Has anyone heard of this. Here's their Web site.

http://www.taxstatement.cc/statement.asp

I personally this it's just another scam that's going to get some niave people in a lot of trouble. But I can't find anything to contradict their claims. The 1040 booklet does appear to say that you can file either a 'return' or a 'statement'.

HomeGuru

It is true that you can file a tax statement in lieu of a 1040. But if you have taxable income you owe the tax.
If you need another opinion just contact the IRS.

crager34

tis true

HomeGuru speaks the truth.... "if you have taxable income.."

I suggest reading Chapter 26 of the IRS code to see if you do have taxable income. It doesn't take long at all.

R

rmayo

I agree with both of you. I'm trying to save someone from doing something really stupid.

I'm trying to find indisputable proof that the Web site is inaccurate with it's claims.

It seems to me that basic common sense would tell them that that avoiding taxes isn't as simple as writing a "Statement" saying that you aren't paying them.

HomeGuru

rmayo said:
I agree with both of you. I'm trying to save someone from doing something really stupid.

I'm trying to find indisputable proof that the Web site is inaccurate with it's claims.

It seems to me that basic common sense would tell them that that avoiding taxes isn't as simple as writing a "Statement" saying that you aren't paying them.
HomeGuru response: I have 3 words for ya; Internal Revenue Service.

R

rmayo

Unfortunately, the 'canned response' to that is that the IRS isn't going to admit that there is a loophole and that people don't have to pay taxes. I feel like just calling the IRS fraud line and seeing what they have to say. Does anyone have any experience with that?

crager34

the other part...

The other part to that rmayo, is if you ask the right questions to the IRS, they can't and won't answer that you are liable either. I have had experience with that. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and I will talk to you more about this. I do not sell anything and I don't want you to believe a word I am saying. I will just show you what I mean. I agree with HomeGuru with his 3 words I.R.S., but it is not necessary to be afraid when you understand the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">