• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-specific sewer easement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BMWrider

What is the name of your state? Washington

Is it possible to draw up an easement agreement that does not grant the Grantee rights to a specific swath of a neighbors land, but rather grants a general right to run a sewer line across the property? I need a sewer easement across my neighbor's lot but he doesn't want to restrict it to a specific 10-foot wide surveyed strip of land. The reason is that at some point in the future he may want to add on to his house and wants the right to relocate my sewer line (at his cost of course).

The only easements I've ever seen include the surveyed reference to a specific strip of ground. Is it possible to do what my neighbor wants?

James

HomeGuru

BMWrider said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

Is it possible to draw up an easement agreement that does not grant the Grantee rights to a specific swath of a neighbors land, but rather grants a general right to run a sewer line across the property? I need a sewer easement across my neighbor's lot but he doesn't want to restrict it to a specific 10-foot wide surveyed strip of land. The reason is that at some point in the future he may want to add on to his house and wants the right to relocate my sewer line (at his cost of course).

The only easements I've ever seen include the surveyed reference to a specific strip of ground. Is it possible to do what my neighbor wants?

James

**A: yes it is.

tholt4

Why would he want to grant you an easement for a sewer line that he would be responsible for moving in the future?

BMWrider

The background to this issue is that, for ease of installation, I have a preferred path for the sewer line. The property in question is high bluff waterfront where the ground slopes steeply away from my neighbors house. I'd like to run my sewer line along his foundation wall. But he wants to make sure that should he decide to add on to his house then, if necessary, he can relocate the sewer line. The changes of that actually happening are remote, but he wants to preserve the right nonetheless.

So two replies say that it is possible to have an easment agreement without referring to a surveyed strip of land. But I have spoken with two RE attorneys in WA who seem skeptical that it can or should be done.

What wold such as easement agreement look like? How would it refer to the location of the sewer pipe? Or does it not need to?

James

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">