• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper communication with the judge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Agita

What is the name of your state?Alabama

I am a Pro Se litigant. The legal issue has to do with a divorce property settlement. In February the judge handed down an order givng my ex 90 days to comply with the order. If he does not comply he reports to jail at the end of the 90 days.

My ex's attorney has recently written a letter to the judge sending documents to back up his opinion that it is impossible for my ex to comply with the judge's order. In his letter he asked the judge for "guidance" and "direction" from the court as to how my ex should proceed. I was not made a party to this communication. I found out about the letter and documents being sent to the judge from the court clerk. I now have a copy of the documents and letter.

Wasn't it highly improper and unethical for the opposing counsel to send such a communication to the judge without also sending me a copy?

Thanks!

seniorjudge

Agita said:
What is the name of your state?Alabama

I am a Pro Se litigant. The legal issue has to do with a divorce property settlement. In February the judge handed down an order givng my ex 90 days to comply with the order. If he does not comply he reports to jail at the end of the 90 days.

My ex's attorney has recently written a letter to the judge sending documents to back up his opinion that it is impossible for my ex to comply with the judge's order. In his letter he asked the judge for "guidance" and "direction" from the court as to how my ex should proceed. I was not made a party to this communication. I found out about the letter and documents being sent to the judge from the court clerk. I now have a copy of the documents and letter.

Wasn't it highly improper and unethical for the opposing counsel to send such a communication to the judge without also sending me a copy?

Thanks!
Q: Wasn't it highly improper and unethical for the opposing counsel to send such a communication to the judge without also sending me a copy?

A: Yes.

My ex's attorney has recently written a letter to the judge sending documents to back up his opinion that it is impossible for my ex to comply with the judge's order. In his letter he asked the judge for "guidance" and "direction" from the court as to how my ex should proceed.

If this is true, then your ex's attorney is not only unethical but a complete idiot.

www.alabar.org/brochures/complaint_brochure.pdf

Agita

Thanks

If this is true, then your ex's attorney is not only unethical but a complete idiot.

Thank you for responding. And, yes it's true, that and then some. The fact that this attorney is an idiot was established a few years back. His idiocy seems to know, no bounds!

Now I have to decide whether or not to write a letter of my own to the judge in response to this idiot's actions. I don't want to appear to be telling the judge how an attorney should conduct himself but I would like to let the judge know that I find this attorney's actions very unethical and improper. Mainly I would like to let the attorney know that just because I'm Pro Se he isn't able to slip one past me.

Thanks for the link. I will study that tonight when I'm home and on my own computer.

seniorjudge

Agita said:

Thank you for responding. And, yes it's true, that and then some. The fact that this attorney is an idiot was established a few years back. His idiocy seems to know, no bounds!

Now I have to decide whether or not to write a letter of my own to the judge in response to this idiot's actions. I don't want to appear to be telling the judge how an attorney should conduct himself but I would like to let the judge know that I find this attorney's actions very unethical and improper. Mainly I would like to let the attorney know that just because I'm Pro Se he isn't able to slip one past me.

Thanks for the link. I will study that tonight when I'm home and on my own computer.

Now I have to decide whether or not to write a letter of my own to the judge in response to this idiot's actions.

Bad idea....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">