• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Encroachment on Sewer easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdza1

What is the name of your state? NJ

I am trying to install and above ground pool. However, I am told by the local M.U.A. that I am encroaching the the sewer easement by 5ft. My township has a 20ft easement rule. The sewer pipe is 6ft from where the side of my pool would be. In addition, there is easy access from the rear of the property, as there is a parking lot behind my property. The owner of the parking lot has given permission and to use as access if needed.

Can anyone give some advise or steer me to some articles to help my case.

Thanks.

seniorjudge

mdza1 said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

I am trying to install and above ground pool. However, I am told by the local M.U.A. that I am encroaching the the sewer easement by 5ft. My township has a 20ft easement rule. The sewer pipe is 6ft from where the side of my pool would be. In addition, there is easy access from the rear of the property, as there is a parking lot behind my property. The owner of the parking lot has given permission and to use as access if needed.

Can anyone give some advise or steer me to some articles to help my case.

Thanks.
I don't know what the MUA is, but I suspect that if you do not make them happy, then you will not be able to encroach on their easement.

Gadfly

Consider if there would be enough remaining room in the event up a pipe failure or need to replace the pipe. Would the utility be able to get in there and safely work on the pipe without destroying your pool? If you can get them to agree that they could work safely, then you may be able to get a variance. Talk to the utility and talk to the permit people. Get your commissioner or whatever involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">