• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic's lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sunni

I definately appreciate the answers I received, thanks to all of you.
One of you,please forgive me-I can't remember who- brought me to a question of my own. I took my car in to a repair shop in Feb. soon to be 2 years ago. They removed the alternator, I picked it up and took it to auto parts store and purchased another. To make a long story short, the replacement had no pulley, and the best I can find out, I'll have to send to Germany to get the part I need.
A friend went to get the car for me, and was going to see if he could do something different, and they have lost the key! So we can't tow it, or anything. They can't charge me storage for this, can they? Nothing has been said, as I have been trying to find another set of keys, but to no avail, as of yet.

V

Virginian

TWO YEARS? Seems like you could get the part from Germany (or have a new key made, or purchase a new key from a dealer) within that time.

A posting on the wall of the shop, or the form you signed when you dropped the car off, usually gives the garage the right to charge storage after a certain period of time. (You entered into a contract.) Many garages don't charge so that they don't tick off customers. But two years is a ridiculous amount of time to expect someone else to use his storage space (which is costing him money) to store your vehicle, for free.

Are you sure the car is still there? they might have simply sold it.

S

Sunni

Car at shop

Virginian, I sure appreciate you answering my questions!Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I'll try to be brief.
We live in a small town, we haven't had to have contracts,etc. like in the cities. This man is the only one I can find to even work on my Volkswagon Rabbit.(Wolfburg Edition, gas, NOT fuel injected). I have had a lot of trouble getting parts, but the car was my piece of a divorce, and it's paid for, I know, what good does that do if it doesn't run? If I ever get it running again, I'll probably ..... who knows? Anyway, he moved it to the side of his building, and said not to worry about it.
Germany wants 350.00 for the part, plus shipping. I probably should take it to the crusher! But the carburator is brand new, and I paid 250. for it, not to mention the heads reworked,.... Thanks for listening, I think I'll junk it and forget about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">