• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? South Carolina.
I need to know if there is anything legally I can do about a neighbor. I will try to be brief. I had a friend and her brother lives on the end of my cul-de-sac. She stopped talking to me one day, I do not know why. Then he stopped talking to me and the family. We found out from a friend in the neighborhood that he was going around talking about us, not favorable of course. I would like to add that after he stopped talking to us, I warned one of the neighbors to watch what she was saying around him as he said some horrible things about her behind her back. I think she went to him and asked him for an apology.
Anyway, my husband went to him the other day and asked him what his problem was. He started to scream and cuss, you f..ing bitch, you are an instigator, f you, etc... My girlfriend was there with her 2 small children and asked him to stop cursing. He told her to f off and leave the f ing street if she didnt like it. He challenged my husband to a fight, cursed all over the place and generally acted like the uneducated low life he is. He admitted talking sh-t about us and asked what the f we were going to do about it.
I was speaking with my neighbor behind me today, I have never really spoken with her before. She told me that she had heard about the entire incident from the same guy!!! Now he is going around the neighborhood bragging to anyone that will listen that he cursed us out and what terrible people we are. It has made it very uncomfortable for us. We have only lived here one year and are not leaving anytime soon. Is there anything I can do to get this guy to stop?What is the name of your state?

bdancer

First, develop a thicker skin. Second, stop confronting this guy. Third, stop gossiping with other neighbors about this guy. In other words, be the adult in your neighborhood.

S

shell007

longsally111 said:
What is the name of your state? South Carolina.
I need to know if there is anything legally I can do about a neighbor. I will try to be brief. I had a friend and her brother lives on the end of my cul-de-sac. She stopped talking to me one day, I do not know why. Then he stopped talking to me and the family. We found out from a friend in the neighborhood that he was going around talking about us, not favorable of course. I would like to add that after he stopped talking to us, I warned one of the neighbors to watch what she was saying around him as he said some horrible things about her behind her back. I think she went to him and asked him for an apology.
Anyway, my husband went to him the other day and asked him what his problem was. He started to scream and cuss, you f..ing bitch, you are an instigator, f you, etc... My girlfriend was there with her 2 small children and asked him to stop cursing. He told her to f off and leave the f ing street if she didnt like it. He challenged my husband to a fight, cursed all over the place and generally acted like the uneducated low life he is. He admitted talking sh-t about us and asked what the f we were going to do about it.
I was speaking with my neighbor behind me today, I have never really spoken with her before. She told me that she had heard about the entire incident from the same guy!!! Now he is going around the neighborhood bragging to anyone that will listen that he cursed us out and what terrible people we are. It has made it very uncomfortable for us. We have only lived here one year and are not leaving anytime soon. Is there anything I can do to get this guy to stop?What is the name of your state?[/QUOTE]

No...He is entitled to his opinion and his right to "freedome of speech".

You could always consider moving! Just a thought.

I did stop speaking to him, we are no longer confronting him, we are not gossiping to the neighbors about him. It was the neighbors coming to us when we found out about all the things he was saying. I don't think that if you lived here, had someone scream all of that in your face and then tried to trash you to the whole neighborhood that you would just develope a "thick skin"

S

shell007

longsally111 said:
I did stop speaking to him, we are no longer confronting him, we are not gossiping to the neighbors about him. It was the neighbors coming to us when we found out about all the things he was saying. I don't think that if you lived here, had someone scream all of that in your face and then tried to trash you to the whole neighborhood that you would just develope a "thick skin"
Reality is....YOU DON'T HAVE ANY OTHER CHOICE!!!

well, unfortunately, I do not know how this is going to end. I guess I can take heart in knowing that the neighbor behind us I spoke to earlier today said that as soon as he walked away, she told her husband that it was obvious he was trying to rally the neighbors and she would not be getting involved. I hope they all take that same approach

MoneyShot

Rallying the neighbors to your side isn't hard. Host a cookout or dinner at your place - even if it's just a pizza party. And invite everyone but the crazy one! Show the locals you're decent people and he's not. Let your house be the one where the kids like to hang out at.

Everyone having a great and noisy picnic in your yard will pi$$ him off more than anything else. Especially if he keeps hearing what a great time everyone had. Get creative. ;)

Actually, that is a great idea. My neighbors are building the fence behind us. I think I will bring lemonade, etc.... be really nice. See how it goes

W

wildncrazyguy

be a good enighbor

longsally111 said:
Actually, that is a great idea. My neighbors are building the fence behind us. I think I will bring lemonade, etc.... be really nice. See how it goes
and invite your crazy neighbor over too, and offer him a glass of lemonade-spiked with arsenic. or better yet, cyinide

PghREA

bdancer said:
First, develop a thicker skin. Second, stop confronting this guy. Third, stop gossiping with other neighbors about this guy. In other words, be the adult in your neighborhood.
That would be my answer also!

Country Living

Neighborly

longsally111 said:
You may get more points if you help them build their fence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">