• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did I goof up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abe2

What is the name of your state? WI
I am a Manager. I was accused of sexual harassment. The details. I had some car problems and was complaining to an administrative person about how greasy I would get. She was giving me a hard time about it. It was after hours when I finished working on my vehicle. I made a greasy hand print and laid it on her table next to her computer. Two weeks or so passed and I found a hand drawn picture of a butt with my hand print tapped to it placed in my desk drawer. I said "are you serious about this," her comment was yes but not here. So, as time went on I asked her if she wanted to go to lunch, answer no. Want to go for a ride, no. I know dumb on my part. Come to find out she was haveing an affair with someone else, openly and to the point of being away from her desk often and and for extended periods of time. I was going to ask another manager a question as I entered his office, he was not there, she was on the phone and looked like the cat that ate the canary. This occurred twice in a bout a month time frame. After the second time, I mentioned it to her supervisior and she confronted the person and stated "other eyes are watching." Shortly after that I was accused of sexual harassment. I was shocked, after the investigation. End result, I was not disiplined, but given a letter of expectation. I did show the picture to the director who gave me the letter of expectation and he asked me if I wanted him to have it. I said no I will keep it. I asked him to share what I had showed him with the responsable VP and HR for the "other side of the story perspective". He assured me he would. I am not sure he did. Now, I feel this occurance, by the way the only issue in 35years, is being held against me for a promotion. Do I produce the evidence I have or, just shut up and let things lay. I realize I made some poor decisions but in no way did I sexually harass her.
Sorry about the length of this.

Thank You

mitousmom

What was in the letter of expectations? What does your company expect you to do or not do in the future? It could be that the company concluded that you weren't guilty of sexual harassment, but concluded you violated another company rule or policy.

Was the woman a subordinate? Does you company have a policy prohibiting employees from having even consensual relationships? What was the behavior that woman said was sexually harassing?

If you told the truth about your actions, hers and the situation, I don't know what else you could have done. However, it's a little unclear when you showed the Director the grease print. I'm assuming that was done during the investigation and given to whomever conduct the investigation. I also assume those conducting the investigation were aware of your report to her supervisor of her behavior on the telephone and the timing of your complaint.

abe2

I did not show the picture she left in my desk to the director until he presented me with the letter of expectation. It is the only evidence I have which to me shows if anybody was approached in a sexual manner it was I. The letter stated not to ask her to go for a ride or go to lunch. Yes, I explained at the hearing I had told her supervisior and her supervisiors supervisior about what was going on. No, she is not a subordinate.
By the way, I was informed on Wednesday, that this event was exactly the reason I would not be promoted. I was also informed someone else was given a letter of expectation so it would not be fair. They will evaluatae my behavior after one year and then I may be considered for a promotion. By the way the director I showed the picture did not tell the VP or the HR people about it. I have just completed a two year special assignment I was told it was the "next natural step in my career" and that I would come out of it better than I was when I went in. I basically wasted two years.
I feel the punishment does not fit the crime, again I made some poor decisions. I have stated how I felt and was basically told that is the way it is.
Thanks

mitousmom

It appears that your co-worker retaliated against you for reporting her telephone conversation to her supervisor, by accusing you of sexual harassment. Sexual harassment is unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature. It doesn't appear that your attention was unwelcome, but that's beside the point now. Had you shown the butt print at the time of the inquiry into her accusation, it might have made a difference and called her credibility into question. I suspect doing so now is too late.

I doubt seriously that your 2 year special assignment was a wasted effort. Your company is reserving judgment on your advancement for a year or so. What happens will depend upon your behavior, performance and probably a demonstration of maturity and professionalism in the face of this adversity.

abe2

Thank You. It appears you are familiar with these types of situations, your response is similiar to others I have had and definetly helped bring closure to this. I guess I will get over the embarrassment, humiliation and move on. I just felt the punishment did not fit the crime. It is difficult not to be angry, but live and learn. I have definetly learned
Thanks Again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">