• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utilities Outside Easment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Briarchase

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I've recently discovered that the utilities crossing the front of my property are outside the 15 foot utility easement. They were evidently marking for digging on an adjacent vacant lot, and marking paint showed the gas line right at or over the 15 foot line, while other marks for electric and telephone were at 20 and 22 feet. What are my rights if one of the utilites decides to work on their line outside the 15 foot utility easement? I've only been in the newly built home for just over a year.

Shay-Pari'e

Briarchase said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

I've recently discovered that the utilities crossing the front of my property are outside the 15 foot utility easement. They were evidently marking for digging on an adjacent vacant lot, and marking paint showed the gas line right at or over the 15 foot line, while other marks for electric and telephone were at 20 and 22 feet. What are my rights if one of the utilites decides to work on their line outside the 15 foot utility easement? I've only been in the newly built home for just over a year.

And how do you know the easement is off? I would seriously look at your title report again.

Briarchase

I have the notarized plat survey for the lot provided at closing, including locations of the set iron rods at the lot corners. It provides for a public utilities easement across the front of the property extending 15 feet from the curb, as well as a 5 foot drainage easement down each side of the property and a 10 foot public utilities easment across the back of the property. My measurements from the curb show paint marks for utlities at 20 and 22 feet from the curb - property which has no easement filed on the survey.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">