• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Off site harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hearthr

What is the name of your state? Texas

What advice can you give an EMPLOYER when an employee is harrassing another employee- OUTSIDE of the office?? Can anything be done by the employee being harrassed thru his employer?What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

hearthr said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

What advice can you give an EMPLOYER when an employee is harrassing another employee- OUTSIDE of the office??
None becuase it's none of your business except as a private citizen.
Can anything be done by the employee being harrassed thru his employer?
Not unless the harassement is being undertaken either at work or through work-related events.
What is the name of your state?
I don't give out personal information.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't necessarily agree. If illegal harassment is transpiring (which is why I am asking for more details; not all harassment is illegal) the employer could conceivably face liablity if he knows about it and takes no action, even if it is not happening in connection with work.

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
I don't necessarily agree. If illegal harassment is transpiring (which is why I am asking for more details; not all harassment is illegal) the employer could conceivably face liablity if he knows about it and takes no action, even if it is not happening in connection with work.
And I disagree. Even if the offender is engaging in completely illegal harassment, if there is no direct connection with the employer except that both parties work at the same place, then this is a matter for the police and civil court.

But that's why I wuv ya baby....;)

mitousmom

Title VII only controls employers in the context of employment. The employment context can include activities away from the employer's premises. However, the activity has to be related to the employer-employee relationship. For example, activity conducted while on business related travel, social activities sponsored by the employer, business meetings away from the employer's premises are in the context of employment. However, if employee A engages in unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature to employee B in a bar where the two of them just happen to encounter each other or as the result of a meeting they arranged, but which has nothing to do with the employer or its business, the sexually harassing behavior wouldn't be illegal because there is no employer-employee relationship between employee A and employee B. For Title VII purposes they are just two individuals "passing in the night."

Under Title VII an employer has the obligation to ensure a workplace free of conduct that violates the law. Two individuals who happen to work for the same company meeting or being in the same place doesn't create a workplace for which the employer is responsible.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have a very hard time believing that if an employee tells me she is having trouble with a co-worker who is harassing her and it's upsetting her at work, as long as all the harassing behavior happened off hours the EEOC is going to let me off scot-free if I don't investigate. That's another one I sure wouldn't want to be the test case for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">