• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discrimination or an evil boss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

help77iris

:eek: :( I fell as if i was descriminated against at my job i have been employed for 7 months and just got my review and was not given the full percentage of the raise because i need to improve my english which is total bull because i was born and raised in the united states speak perfect english and was told if i wanted the full percent i needed to improve in 30 days i was insulted and before this my boss called a co-worker and myself an idiot and that coworker is now fired because she gave a personal opinion about how employees should be treated in the work place. my question is if i get fired for going to my boss and telling him i am not happy about the review i speak perfect english i was insulted and felt descriminated what should i do.:eek:

mitousmom

Was your boss evaluating your use of spoken English or written? If it's the latter, I can only point out that your post tends to support his evaluation of your skill, or lack thereof.

Nonetheless, neither his criticism of your use of English nor his referring to you as an "idiot" violate the federal anti-discrimination laws.

Rather than complaining, it might be more helpful and productive if you asked your boss to provide you with some examples of what he considers to be deficiencies in your use of English.

C

CheeseBlotto

Your English is actually quite poor, based on your post.

Beth3

help77 must have been absent that month in grade school when they taught punctuation and sentence structure. :eek:

Country Living

Communication skills are important!

There is a direct correlation between written and verbal communication skills. Your written skills are poor. One of the best ways to improve grammar, spelling, and punctuation is to turn off the TV and read books. Not magazines, not tabloids.

Instead of blaming your management, show some initiative and make a concerted effort to improve your skills. You can’t afford to buys books? Go to the local library.

sperts

help77iris said:
:eek: :( I fell as if i was descriminated against at my job i have been employed for 7 months and just got my review and was not given the full percentage of the raise because i need to improve my english which is total bull because i was born and raised in the united states speak perfect english and was told if i wanted the full percent i needed to improve in 30 days i was insulted and before this my boss called a co-worker and myself an idiot and that coworker is now fired because she gave a personal opinion about how employees should be treated in the work place. my question is if i get fired for going to my boss and telling him i am not happy about the review i speak perfect english i was insulted and felt descriminated what should i do.:eek:
Im going to go with evil boss.:eek:

HomeGuru

help77iris said:

**A: this post speaks for itself. You do not use proper grammar, have poor spelling etc.
I bet you do not have a high school diploma. Did you even pass the 8th grade?

Country Living

I was also.

sperts said:
Im going to go with evil boss.:eek:
I was one of those evil bosses. :eek:

I expected my staff to have at least average communication skills - both verbal and written. This skill was so important it was a part of their performance evaluation.

Gadfly

This is neither discrimination or and evil boss. It is your responsibility as an employee to meet the minimum expectations of the company.

mb94

help77iris said:
Here's some help in using English.

Descriminated is spelled wrong. The letter I should always be capitalized. English should also be capitalized. They have a new invention called a period, you should try it sometime. United States should be capitalized. There's more problems in terms of syntax and diction. But the errors you made in your post is stuff that a grade school child would know not to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">