• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this normal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CMSC

What is the name of your state? KY

I had sent an email to a family law attorney regarding a jurisdiction issue. She was extremely helpful but I believe I'm going to need an attorney in another state so I haven't retained her as my attorney. I needed some paperwork from the courthouse in the state the attorney was in, I asked what she would charge to go pick up the paperwork. I then found I already had the right papers but still had a question about the JE. She never answered if I could hire her and what she would charge to go to the courthouse. Then 2 days later I get an email from her stating she is going to pick up the paperwork and wants my mailing address to send me a bill.

I'm worried I'm going to be stuck with a costly bill. I would have liked to discuss her fee's prior to her running out and getting the paperwork that I already have. If I get a large bill for the time she has spent on this case, even though she never agreed to me hiring her nor did I agree to any fee's, how do I handle the bill? If it is just a bill for her 10 minutes of time to run and make a photo copy at the courthouse I'm okay but worried from the sound of hte email that she may be billing me for all the communications (about 10 emails back and forth).

This is the first time I've ever had an attorney communicate via email for quite sometime without discussion of a retainer or expense.

Thanks!

Dandy Don

Wait until you get the bill before you decide what to do. Right now you don't know if her fee will be unreasonable or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">