• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harassed and discriminated against at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

skyleanne

harassed at work because of my eyebrow piercings

I have worked for the same company for three and a half years. About six months ago I was told to either remove my eyebrow rings, which I have had for more than four years, or I would be terminated. (There is nothing in the company dress code which states that body jewelry is not allowed.) Management has taken me from my job where I dealt with the public and placed me where the public does not see me. I was recently told that they were going to demote me from full time to part time and then cut my pay by over $.60 an hour. Management has said things to me such as "Shut up and go back to your corner" I have been denied jobs in the store because of my piercings, and two of the jobs have been jobs that I have previously held. They have already suspended me for one week without pay and I am getting ready to be suspended for three weeks without pay.
I have letters of recommendation from numerous supervisors in the store and have never been a problem employee. Management also has two other employees who have piercings and nothing has been said or done do them. They continue to work on the sales floor to this day. I have asked why the "dress code" only applies to me and was told to forget about it.
If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated as I am at a total loss as to what to do.

[Edited by skyleanne on 01-15-2001 at 02:57 AM]

A

Always searching

When I worked as a Personnel manager for a number of years and had to interview people, I wouldn't even hire anyone with body piercings or tattoos. Why? Because I learned that for some unknown reason, people who engage in this activity have to make themselves different or noticed and are usually people that make a lot of trouble in the company. The world is a conservative place. Like this or not, it is the way it is. Blue suits and neat haircuts are the norm. You choose to go against the norm. You get put out of the public eye. If you want to go back on the floor, remove the jewelry and remove the attitude about it and life will continue as before. Against my wishes, management hired someone with hand tattoes. Besides the customers complaints, she was a trouble maker and filed a lawsuit for discrimination (she lost). It was a horrible experience and I can't look at all that stuff all over people's faces and bodies without thinking that they are rebelling. I bet I am not alone in this area. Same thing is happening to you too heh?

A quick question and this is just an anatomy question:What do you think more about when you go to work, your eyebrows or your stomach? When you go to the grocery store, what do you think about when you go to pay for groceries, your eyebrows or your stomach? Simple answer.

[Edited by Always searching on 12-25-2000 at 01:26 AM]

M

montyanderson

Unfortunately for you,you live in a culture that by-and-large looks down on young people who choose to put holes in their body. It's looked as an extreme rebelious cry for individuality. The "counter culture" response is often, "I DONT CARE WHAT ANYBODY ELSE THINKS" or "IM JUST EXPRESSING WHO I AM" -Well, the same freedoms that give the minority (people who choose body piercings) abilty to express what they accept and favor, obviously gives the masses (most who dont choose to put metal in their eyebrows, nose, nipples, toungue, and so on)to express the same. Dont like it, just accpet it. It's the way it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">