• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

check engine/one week after purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iijmom

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I bought a 98 ford windstar from a car dealer. The handle on the slide door was broken and he said he would fix it (he hasn't yet.) The rear air didn't work( he fixed that) the oil was completely black and so was the air filter ( he fixed that )

Five days after I bought the van the check engine light came on and the plug in thing said that it was #1 misfire or something and my husband paid for the plugs and plug wires and fixed that himself.

Well It came back on and my husband thinks that it may be the coil pack, and my dad said that it could be a number of things you just have to fix them one thing at a time until you get the right thing fixed. Also the passenger side window will not go down.
I gave him my 95 Toyota Corolla for a $1500 trade in and we took a loan for $4300.

Would the lemon laws in my state play into my situation or am I (excuse me) screwed. We have 4 children and really need this type of vehicle but to only have it 1 1/2 weeks and this many problems. We won't be able to afford the payments with these repairs. Any suggestions?

Also to ad I recorded a telephone conversation with the dealor about the air problem and on the tape he states that he wouldn't sell us a car and the next day find out that it needed repair. Would this help in my case???

THE PRACTICE-32

iijmom said:

Would the lemon laws in my state play into my situation or am I (excuse me) screwed.

MY RESPONSE: Lemon laws in your State cover NEW vehicles, not used. Unless you got a warranty of some sort, then yes, you're screwed. It's called "caveat emptor." Look it up.

Also to ad I recorded a telephone conversation with the dealor about the air problem and on the tape he states that he wouldn't sell us a car and the next day find out that it needed repair. Would this help in my case???

MY RESPONSE: I have no idea what you're saying here. It makes no sense. Can you write in English, please?

IAAL

iijmom

BelizeBreeze said:
Sorry, no lemonaide....it's a used car. Absent any fraud or warranty, you are pretty much stuck.
awww man even with the recorded conversation. That really bites. I thought I had him on that one.:( :( :( :( :(

iijmom

THE PRACTICE-32 said:
iijmom said:

Would the lemon laws in my state play into my situation or am I (excuse me) screwed.

MY RESPONSE: Lemon laws in your State cover NEW vehicles, not used. Unless you got a warranty of some sort, then yes, you're screwed. It's called "caveat emptor." Look it up.

MY RESPONSE: I have no idea what you're saying here. It makes no sense. Can you write in English, please?

IAAL
Thinking that the dealor was going to screw me over about the repairs I held a tape recorder up to the phone and recorded him saying that he was going to pay for the air condition repair. He said in that conversation that he would not sale me a vehicle only to find that it needed repair the next day.

iijmom

:confused: I have a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty that covers the engine, transmission, and drive train.:confused:

BelizeBreeze

WHile the recording is legal in Georgia, it will ONLY apply to the air conditioning IF allowed in court. But then, you still have a lemon. A cool lemon but a big yellow piece of crap ;)

iijmom

BelizeBreeze said:
that would have been nice to know from the beginning.
Sorry does it cover the problem because my husband, who is not a mechanic but hates when I second guess him, says that it isn't. I really don't know squat about all of this.:eek:

THE PRACTICE-32

iijmom said:
:confused: I have a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty that covers the engine, transmission, and drive train.:confused:

My response:

It's called "caveat emptor." Look it up.

Did you?

Basically, you bought a hunk of crap for $5,800.00 plus tax and license. The vehicle, had you asked to have it checked by your mechanic before plunking down your money, would have told you that the vehicle wasn't worth half the price. You screwed yourself, big time.

IAAL

iijmom

THE PRACTICE-32 said:
My response:

It's called "caveat emptor." Look it up.

Did you?

Basically, you bought a hunk of crap for $5,800.00 plus tax and license. The vehicle, had you asked to have it checked by your mechanic before plunking down your money, would have told you that the vehicle wasn't worth half the price. You screwed yourself, big time.

IAAL
Ok so maybe I should have mentioned that I did ask a mechanic(not my husband but someone who works at an actual garage) and he said that the vechicle was ok that they were probably asking about $1000 too much but in the situation that we were in I QUOTE: "YOU DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO"

BL

C'mon breeze put out the kids lemonaid stand , so's when the poster walks by sweating to death , He can pluck out nickles . Be sure to include the ice . :D

BelizeBreeze

Blonde Lebinese said:
C'mon breeze put out the kids lemonaid stand , so's when the poster walks by sweating to death , He can pluck out nickles . Be sure to include the ice . :D
I lived long enough in Europe to know I charge EXTRA for ice ;)

justalayman

OP: read your warranty very carefully and very thouroughly.

If any of this is covered, it would be in your warranty paperwork.
If you need explanation of the terminology you might ask that nice mechanic to explain. He may see something in there that lists parts or systems you do not recognize but may be applicable to your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">