• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spalling contract nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwbts124

What is the name of your state? FL -My condo has spalling and the association collected assessments for this work. The association president (real estate lawyer) had his office write the contract for the spalling work. This work was scheduled to take up to six months (to complete all work on all buildings). It has been six months and only 1/6 is complete. Meanwhile my condo is not livable and I am losing $1200 per month in rental income. The president owns 12 of the unlivable units (he is very wealthy) but other owners are defaulting on their mortgages. I have had to get a second job just to keep afloat but cannot make it much longer. When is the president or his office held responsible for those of us who are out of a livable unit? Is he liable for contract deadlines which are not met? This contract has put many people out of their homes.

justalayman

LindaP777 said:
OK, I'll ask . . . what's "spalling"?
Spalling -- Flaking of the outer face of masonry, often caused by expanding moisture in freezing conditions

It's where bricks start to crumble as if somebody hit them with a hammer. The end of the life of a brick.

It also applies to concrete.

Although I am not sure why the building in un-inhabitable during the repairs. It can be dusty and/or noisy but with appropriate abatement it is livable.

LindaP777

justalayman said:
Spalling -- Flaking of the outer face of masonry, often caused by expanding moisture in freezing conditions

It's where bricks start to crumble as if somebody hit them with a hammer. The end of the life of a brick.

Although I am not sure why the building in un-inhabitable during the repairs. It can be dusty and/or noisy but with appropriate abatement it is livable.
Thanks! I had no idea! Gotta go look for spalling, as I've never checked before . . .

kwbts124

Spalling in Florida

justalayman said:

:) Hello and sorry for the missing definition - this building happens to be concrete and yes the spalling work normally is conducted while the building is occupied.

LONG STORY made SHORT: This is Key West; Hurricane Wilma; 6 foot tidal surge & property is on-the-water (Gulf side). The buildings were gutted (due to Wilma)(only took 2 weeks) but cannot proceed with "put-back" (scheduled to take approx 12 weeks) until EXTENSIVE spalling work is complete. Spalling work was scheduled for 6 months start-to-finish but is moving very slowly. The spalling contract was inplace prior to hurricane.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">