• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Racial Discrimination???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlcduran

:confused: What is the name of your state? Texas

Well, I am currently employed with a company and have been there for 5 years now. Our supervisor seems to have some communication issues with his assistant. I myself do not assist him, although I have applied for the position in the past. Being that for some strange reason my supervisor cannot keep an assistant for more than a year, I myself have applied directly for the position. I have been praised by him numerous times on what a great job I do, although for some reason he does not consider me for this position. It is a step up from where I am, which is technically not much being that it is in the same line of work and not many more tasks involved in the position. Thinking that I would get the opportunity to assist him one day, I apply for this same position 3 times in a row. He meets with me briefly and discuss how he feels I am better off where I am. No real reason as to why I cannot be considered for this position. Since I have worked there, he has gone thru 5 assistants and not one of them last for more than a year. This rejection has lead me to believe that maybe there is something wrong with my skills, but then I started to notice a pattern. Every assistant he's hired has been white. No hispanic, which I am, no other nationality other than white assistants. Now, I have gotten awards for my skills for 3 years straight, but yet I am not good enough for this position???

Could it be because I am hispanic? Is this something that could be considered for discrimination against my race? Please someone tell if I am overreacting??

BelizeBreeze

mlcduran said:
:confused: What is the name of your state? Texas

Well, I am currently employed with a company and have been there for 5 years now. Our supervisor seems to have some communication issues with his assistant. I myself do not assist him, although I have applied for the position in the past. Being that for some strange reason my supervisor cannot keep an assistant for more than a year, I myself have applied directly for the position. I have been praised by him numerous times on what a great job I do, although for some reason he does not consider me for this position. It is a step up from where I am, which is technically not much being that it is in the same line of work and not many more tasks involved in the position. Thinking that I would get the opportunity to assist him one day, I apply for this same position 3 times in a row. He meets with me briefly and discuss how he feels I am better off where I am. No real reason as to why I cannot be considered for this position. Since I have worked there, he has gone thru 5 assistants and not one of them last for more than a year. This rejection has lead me to believe that maybe there is something wrong with my skills, but then I started to notice a pattern. Every assistant he's hired has been white. No hispanic, which I am, no other nationality other than white assistants. Now, I have gotten awards for my skills for 3 years straight, but yet I am not good enough for this position???

Could it be because I am hispanic? Is this something that could be considered for discrimination against my race? Please someone tell if I am overreacting??
come back when you have a legitimate LEGAL issue.

mitousmom

It depends. It's fairly clear that he doesn't think you are a match for the position. Have you ever asked him why? Have you ever asked someone whose opinion you can value and who knows and has worked with both of you, why that person thinks the supervisor never selects you.

Whether he wants only Caucasians for the job depends on information you haven't provided and may not know. Compare your qualifications and skills with those whom he hired? How do you stack up? Did he ever have ostensibly very qualified non-Caucasian applicants that he didn't hire? Has he ever hired, for any position, non-Caucasians?

Given his track record, do you really want to work for this guy?

mlcduran

Thanks For replying. I do appreciate anyone's advice... I know that I am more than qualified for this position. He has mentioned this to me several times, but he says he feels I am most suited where I am. I have gotten awards for my position for 3 years in a row now and this is a selection and decision based on all 3 admins, which includes the Exec. position. Sad to say, but every exec he's hired has always needed my help with something that given their experience should already know. I am always the one they call on when they have questions and these are not questions on things I know take time to get learn, like where our files are stored or commission paperwork processing, these are things that involve knowing programs that if in that particular position, should already be known. I'm talking programs like Excel, Powerpoint, etc. I would think that if in the position above me, you should already come with these skills, but this isn't so. This is why I am thinking something is wrong. I am more than qualified for this same position, but never am given the opportunity. Yet, he hires assistants in a position above me that don't have half the skills that they should...

Please advice...

Gadfly

Clearly your position requires more skills then that of his assistant. Enjoy the fact that you have your job. . .or go apply for a job at another company.

mlane58

Nothing in your post remotely suggests that any discrimination, racial or otherwise has taken place. Just because youy are hispanic and you didn't get the position doesn't even hint as to why you weren't offered the position. Just because you say you better qualifications then those selected isn't the only qualifier, you need to be a good for the position and the department. Basic qualficiations get you to the interview, the rest is selling yourself and showing the value you can add to that position and the team. I just love how people use the race card when it doesn't go their way.

mlcduran

Reply to Mlane??

My whole purpose of coming to this forum is to get some type of GOOD advice..whether it be yes you were discriminated or no, you weren't discriminated. I didn't come to this forum to have people like you give their opinion of me... I came for advice on my situation. I didn't say I was claiming discrimination of race, I was only asking what others thought on my deal. People who assume are only people who discriminate themselve and/or are sterotypical people.

Thanks for your reply, but next time please try to say something that would be atleast somewhat helpful and not CRITICAL!!:mad:

mlcduran said:
My whole purpose of coming to this forum is to get some type of GOOD advice..whether it be yes you were discriminated or no, you weren't discriminated.
And you received the proper advice.

I didn't come to this forum to have people like you give their opinion of me...
Obviously you did elicit any and all advice by anyone...posting on a public forum and all..

I didn't say I was claiming discrimination of race,
Well then I suggest that you might reword your topic....It definitely states that you would like your situation to be evaluated for racial discrimination.

I was only asking what others thought on my deal.
And you received others thoughts and opinions.

Thanks for your reply, but next time please try to say something that would be at least somewhat helpful and not CRITICAL!!:mad:
Geez....We do not provide answers that will suit your way of thinking.....we provide the truth...whether you like it or not. We will not (no matter how many posts or versions you present) give you an answer in which you want to hear.

**Sigh**:rolleyes:

Rose

Mlc

Sorry, but it would be impossible determine the motives of others from a post that presents only one side.

What is probably occurring is that he has you in a position where he feels you contribute the most and simply does not want you in the position you desire.

If you can not tolerate that position, you'll probably have to have a heart to heart with your boss, offer an ultimatum and be prepared to take your skills elsewhere.

More to consider: Your estimate of your skills may not be his perception of your skills, or perhaps he doesn't feel you 'present' adequately to be his assistant and it seems, the decision is his.

Have that talk and tell him how you feel. Maybe he doesn't really know!

mitousmom

I still think it's a little odd that the guy has hired only white assistants. It may be that only white individuals have applied or that the white applicants have been best suited for the job. However, the fact that he's had five assistants in five years suggests that he's not very good at picking applicants who meets the needs of the job and/or can work with him.

mlane58

mlcduran said:
My whole purpose of coming to this forum is to get some type of GOOD advice..whether it be yes you were discriminated or no, you weren't discriminated. I didn't come to this forum to have people like you give their opinion of me... I came for advice on my situation. I didn't say I was claiming discrimination of race, I was only asking what others thought on my deal. People who assume are only people who discriminate themselve and/or are sterotypical people.

Thanks for your reply, but next time please try to say something that would be atleast somewhat helpful and not CRITICAL!!:mad:
You made the post critcal of yourself by making the statement "Every assistant he's hired has been white. No hispanic, which I am, no other nationality other than white assistants."

Because you didn't like the outcome and played the race issue when you have no foundation, don't blame me or anyone else for forming an opinion based on experienced observations.

turbowray

poster

maybe the issue you have is with your wages verses your experience etc...have you asked your boss for a raise?? The worse that could happen is he says no....other than that,you should be very happy that it appears that you have job stability and no reasons to fear being jobless...i would be happy at that...keep your chin up and be happy at all the accomplishments and awards...hope you get a raise!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">