• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My boss wants the van back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

girardgirl

My husband started working for a guy. This guy bought my husband a work van with the agreement that my husband would pay him 50.00 weekly or 200.00 monthly. My husband has since stopped working for this guy and the guy now wants the van back. The title and bill of sale are in my husbands name there is nothing signed at all linking the van to my husbands boss except maybe the check that was used to buy it. My husband wants to pay for it as agreed. He wants to know if his boss has any legal grounds to take the van back. We live in Mass.

LegalBeagle

girardgirl said:
My husband started working for a guy. This guy bought my husband a work van with the agreement that my husband would pay him 50.00 weekly or 200.00 monthly. My husband has since stopped working for this guy and the guy now wants the van back. The title and bill of sale are in my husbands name there is nothing signed at all linking the van to my husbands boss except maybe the check that was used to buy it. My husband wants to pay for it as agreed. He wants to know if his boss has any legal grounds to take the van back. We live in Mass.
If the title is in your husbands name then no, the boss can not just ask for it back.

JETX

This could get kind of 'sticky'.....
Are you sure that there are no documents regarding the payback on the van??? It seems terribly unusual (and very poor business) for an employer to purchase a van in the employees name based on deducting payments from a paycheck WITHOUT some type of documentation.

However, if there is no contract or arrangement to the contrary, I believe that the employer has little 'real' recourse other than to accept the agreed payments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">