• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suing someone from Russia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

larrym

I visited Moscow. Prior to my trip I made plans to meet several friends. One friend lived in Chelybinsk. To get to moscow they wanted me to purchase them a plane ticket from Chelybinsk to Moscow roundtrip. The person told me that the cost of the ticket is 370 USD. I wired this person 370 USD +45 USD (cost of wire). I wired the money on Nov. 13, it was retrieved on Nov. 17 after I informed the person by email. This person was to meet me in Moscow at a specific date and time in November, 2000. This person didn't show up. I emailed this person to return my money because it was not used for the purpose that it was intended. We corresponded by email and regular mail prior to this meeting.

I have saved all of the emails. I have this persons home address also. They also have a internet site that they are registered with (excite.com) that will have there personal information.

I was assured by this person that they can be trusted. I feel that I've been taken. Its been 2 weeks since I contacted this person by email with no response.

I'm suing for 415 USD.

How can you make a claim against a person from another country?

What charges can I make? Breech of Promise, Theft?

Will I need a lawyer?

Could this be settle by arbitration via phone?

If this person is unable to pay, can I sue their parents?

What are the costs to me?

LegalBeagle

larrym said:
I visited Moscow. Prior to my trip I made plans to meet several friends. One friend lived in Chelybinsk. To get to moscow they wanted me to purchase them a plane ticket from Chelybinsk to Moscow roundtrip. The person told me that the cost of the ticket is 370 USD. I wired this person 370 USD +45 USD (cost of wire). I wired the money on Nov. 13, it was retrieved on Nov. 17 after I informed the person by email. This person was to meet me in Moscow at a specific date and time in November, 2000. This person didn't show up. I emailed this person to return my money because it was not used for the purpose that it was intended. We corresponded by email and regular mail prior to this meeting.

I have saved all of the emails. I have this persons home address also. They also have a internet site that they are registered with (excite.com) that will have there personal information.

I was assured by this person that they can be trusted. I feel that I've been taken. Its been 2 weeks since I contacted this person by email with no response.

I'm suing for 415 USD.

How can you make a claim against a person from another country?

What charges can I make? Breech of Promise, Theft?

Will I need a lawyer?

Could this be settle by arbitration via phone?

If this person is unable to pay, can I sue their parents?

What are the costs to me?
Give it up and write off the loss. You would need to process the claim in Russia and chances are they can not or will not pay anyway. You will spend a lot of money for nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">