• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plumber doesn't do the job and files a lien when homeowner refuses to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevespelling

Texas.
We hired a plumber from a newspaper ad in Dallas to snake out the sewer line from our house to the city sewer line. His ad stated "drains cleaned $49.95". He said he would charge $60 to clear the sewer line. He arrived with a snake that looked too small to do the job, and after trying for 15 minutes said the sewer line was broken and I can camera it for you for $100 and it will probably cost about $4,000 to $8,000 to fix. We declined his offer and said that his snake was too small & refused to pay the $60 because he didn't complete the job as represented. He said he would sue for the $60 and file a lien against the house and called the police to get a report number. The next day we hired a different contractor who came with a larger machine, cleared the line in 30 minutes and we paid him as agreed.

I phoned the plumber who failed to do the job and told him that the line was cleaned out and that the other plumber said it was not broken. Never the less I was informed by this original plumber that he filed a lien for the $60 on the house. My wife is stubborn and won't pay him for failing to do the job as agreed as a matter of principal. What do I need to do to get the lien removed from the house. Should I sue the plumber in small claims court or what?What is the name of your state?

HappyHusband

stevespelling said:
Texas.
We hired a plumber from a newspaper ad in Dallas to snake out the sewer line from our house to the city sewer line. His ad stated "drains cleaned $49.95". He said he would charge $60 to clear the sewer line. He arrived with a snake that looked too small to do the job, and after trying for 15 minutes said the sewer line was broken and I can camera it for you for $100 and it will probably cost about $4,000 to $8,000 to fix. We declined his offer and said that his snake was too small & refused to pay the $60 because he didn't complete the job as represented. He said he would sue for the $60 and file a lien against the house and called the police to get a report number. The next day we hired a different contractor who came with a larger machine, cleared the line in 30 minutes and we paid him as agreed.

I phoned the plumber who failed to do the job and told him that the line was cleaned out and that the other plumber said it was not broken. Never the less I was informed by this original plumber that he filed a lien for the $60 on the house. My wife is stubborn and won't pay him for failing to do the job as agreed as a matter of principal. What do I need to do to get the lien removed from the house. Should I sue the plumber in small claims court or what?What is the name of your state?
Pay the plumber the $60, get a receipt, and tell your wife that, after you threatened the plumber with an ass-whuppin, he agreed to drop the lien.

Or small claims court, whichever is easier for you.

Buk1000

HappyHusband said:
Pay the plumber the $60, get a receipt, and tell your wife that, after you threatened the plumber with an ass-whuppin, he agreed to drop the lien.

Or small claims court, whichever is easier for you.
LOL, a creative, and probably extremely effective way to deal wtih this! I DO admire the wife's spirit though. Best not to try and break it either. You may need it someday if a really expensive rip off comes along.

BelizeBreeze

stevespelling said:
Texas.

With all due respect, your wife is an idiot. Either pay the bill THEN dispute it in small claims court, or have a lien on your home.

You have no legal right to 'self-help'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">