• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Senile Stepmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Doris Roman

I'm retired in Florida, concerned about my elderly stepmother in Chicago, Ill. At age 88 she is becoming psychotic, hallucinating people around her trying to kill her, paranoid they're taking her things. Her son lives 30 minutes away and does little to help her. Once, she fell to the floor and lay half a day before her son found her. He is leaving town with his family on a 2-week vacation, leaving her alone. I'm concerned he will find her dead when he returns. She fiercely fights the idea of a nursing home and would have to be taken away screaming. Her son will not challenge her on this. He says if she is found dead it will be "on HIS conscience" so I should not be concerned about this. He is sole heir to her estate of approx. $80,000. Is there anything I can DO to help her?

LegalBeagle

Doris Roman said:
I'm retired in Florida, concerned about my elderly stepmother in Chicago, Ill. At age 88 she is becoming psychotic, hallucinating people around her trying to kill her, paranoid they're taking her things. Her son lives 30 minutes away and does little to help her. Once, she fell to the floor and lay half a day before her son found her. He is leaving town with his family on a 2-week vacation, leaving her alone. I'm concerned he will find her dead when he returns. She fiercely fights the idea of a nursing home and would have to be taken away screaming. Her son will not challenge her on this. He says if she is found dead it will be "on HIS conscience" so I should not be concerned about this. He is sole heir to her estate of approx. $80,000. Is there anything I can DO to help her?
I believe your only course of action is to petition the courts to get guardianship of her. and the estate. Then you will be able to either get her help or put her into a home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">