• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

working with pottymouths

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tamara Tilus

:eek: What is the name of your state? California

I have been told that swearing is socially acceptable and that it is in fact rude to ask someone to stop. This includes in the workplace, in public, and in front of children. This can't be right, can it? I thought swearing in front of children was a misdemenor, "contributing to the delinquency of a minor." And I thought one coud be fired for swearing at work. I don't know what I'd do, but I'd sure do something, if the PGE lady on the phone, or the Bank Teller or Mail Man had a trashy mouth. I understand that some people have a medical condition that predisposes them to outburst with vulgarity, but that isn't what I'm talking about here. I teach Jr. High Enlgish and High School English, and always remind my students that some of the things they say so causually may put them out of a job someday and that could mean no formula for the new baby. Was I wrong?

Beth3

No, you're not wrong.

How much swearing an employer will allow in the workplace is up to the sensibilities of each individual employer. In some environments, almost anything goes (unfortunately.) In many others however, an employee could find themselves out the door REAL fast if they start dropping f-bombs left and right. And I say that as someone who has worked in manufacturing and warehouse environments for most of my career. An occasional cuss-word (even in the plant) due to having a bad day or frustration was tolerated but if it got to be a regular problem or was ever specifically directed at someone in anger, that employee was disciplined immediately.

CALIF-PROLAW18

Tamara Tilus said:

I have been told that swearing is socially acceptable and that it is in fact rude to ask someone to stop.

MY RESPONSE: Yes, it is rude to ask. If you are offended, excuse yourself from the conversation and walk away (you'll find out why, below).

This includes in the workplace, in public, and in front of children. This can't be right, can it? I thought swearing in front of children was a misdemenor, "contributing to the delinquency of a minor."

MY RESPONSE: While you can be fired from the workplace for any reason, or no reason at all - - unless you're being fired for a noted reason under Title VII, the Constitution "stops" at the employer's entrance. Language usage, even the vernacular, is NOT contributing to the delinquency. The person speaking the language is protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

And I thought one coud be fired for swearing at work.

MY RESPONSE: See above.

I don't know what I'd do, but I'd sure do something, if the PGE lady on the phone, or the Bank Teller or Mail Man had a trashy mouth.

MY RESPONSE: Like I said, "If you are offended, excuse yourself from the conversation and walk away." You can also change the channel, or choose not to place yourself in those types of situations - - if known beforehand.

I understand that some people have a medical condition that predisposes them to outburst with vulgarity, but that isn't what I'm talking about here. I teach Jr. High Enlgish and High School English, and always remind my students that some of the things they say so causually may put them out of a job someday and that could mean no formula for the new baby. Was I wrong?

MY RESPONSE: No, you're not wrong. It all depends on the sensitivities of those around you. For example, in my law firm, each of us "swear up a blue streak" when things don't seem to be going right. But, that's just me and my employees. I encourage freedom of speech. However, an offended employer can't "walk away." So, the employer can make YOU walk away - - from your employment.

Boy, I sure do dislike quoting from the Bible, but notwithstanding our Federal and State Constitution, but since it's right on target, your answer can also be found in Ecclesiastes 3. Take a look.

IAAL

Beth3

I don't agree at all that asking someone to mind their language is rude. Rather, it's the swearing that's rude unless all the participants in the conversation and all those who have no choice but to overhear the conversation have already established that no one will be offended.

When I am near someone who is on their cell phone talking at the top of their lungs and using foul language, that is incredibly rude - both how loud they are and the language they're using. I ignore it but it's still very rude behavior on the talker's part because absolutely no consideration or respect is being shown to those who are forced to overhear their conversation.

CALIF-PROLAW18

Beth3 said:
I don't agree at all that asking someone to mind their language is rude. Rather, it's the swearing that's rude unless all the participants in the conversation and all those who have no choice but to overhear the conversation have already established that no one will be offended.

When I am near someone who is on their cell phone talking at the top of their lungs and using foul language, that is incredibly rude - both how loud they are and the language they're using. I ignore it but it's still very rude behavior on the talker's part because absolutely no consideration or respect is being shown to those who are forced to overhear their conversation.
My response:

Okay, so walk away! Either that, or get some thicker skin. You see, it's obvious, that yours and my sensitivities are different. In a group conversation, I'm not about to take a poll on this issue.

I rather doubt it's the language that's "rude" - - rather it's the volume. Cell phone conversations, regardless of the verbiage being used, can be distracting in and of itself.

IAAL

Last edited:

Beth3

When you're on an elevator, bus, plane, or other constrained location and someone is having a loud cell phone conversation and/or using foul language, that's just plain rude, especially when the indviduals forced to overhear the conversation don't have the option of walking away.

CALIF-PROLAW19

Beth3 said:
When you're on an elevator, bus, plane, or other constrained location and someone is having a loud cell phone conversation and/or using foul language, that's just plain rude, especially when the indviduals forced to overhear the conversation don't have the option of walking away.

My response:

Bad analogy, kiddo. Not everyone is bothered by such conversations in those constrained spaces. But, more importantly, not everyone is as thin-skinned as you. Additionally, and ultimately more important, this is a legal site - - not a "morals" site. So, in the absence of a Municipal Code or State Law, then too bad! The public is not obligated to take a vote on who may be sensitive and who isn't. Also, an elevator ride is momentary, and therefore does NOT arise to the level of an "intrusion" into one's sensitivities. You merely get off at your floor.

When this happens to me, I look the person right in the face - - I either stare, or just laugh at what's being said. Either way, they get the hint.

IAAL

BelizeBreeze

Beth3 said:
You always have the options of stepping on their foot.....

"Oooops! Sorry. Some idiot talking on a cell phone was distracting me." :D

CALIF-PROLAW19

My further response:

By the way, Beth. You know that, for years, I've been wanting to have sex with you, and suck on your big tits.

IAAL

CALIF-PROLAW19

My further response:

By her silence, I can only presume that Beth has learned to, figuratively, turn around and walk away from this thread and my proposition to her.

That was my point.

IAAL

BelizeBreeze

CALIF-PROLAW19 said:
My further response:

By her silence, I can only presume that Beth has learned to, figuratively, turn around and walk away from this thread and my proposition to her.

That was my point.

IAAL
I think her silence means she's busy dropping the bun and undoing the top button ;)

CALIF-PROLAW19

My response:

That was funny. But, CalAtty is the one who wears a tight bun, stretched to the max to the back of her head, giving her that perpetual "surprised look." :eek:

By the way, Tamara Tilus, English and English Comp were my favorite subjects in high school, many, many, many Moons ago. Has English changed between then and now, or just social mores?

IAAL

BelizeBreeze

CALIF-PROLAW19 said:
My response:

That was funny. But, CalAtty is the one who wears a tight bun, stretched to the max to the back of her head, giving her that perpetual "surprised look." :eek:

By the way, Tamara Tilus, English and English Comp were my favorite subjects in high school, many, many, many Moons ago. Has English changed between then and now, or just social mores?

IAAL
Depends on how many wheels the 'house' has.;)

seniorjudge

Tamara Tilus said:

I have been told that swearing is socially acceptable and that it is in fact rude to ask someone to stop. This includes in the workplace, in public, and in front of children. This can't be right, can it? I thought swearing in front of children was a misdemenor, "contributing to the delinquency of a minor." And I thought one coud be fired for swearing at work. I don't know what I'd do, but I'd sure do something, if the PGE lady on the phone, or the Bank Teller or Mail Man had a trashy mouth. I understand that some people have a medical condition that predisposes them to outburst with vulgarity, but that isn't what I'm talking about here. I teach Jr. High Enlgish and High School English, and always remind my students that some of the things they say so causually may put them out of a job someday and that could mean no formula for the new baby. Was I wrong?
You really shouldn't use your real name on a forum like this.

Beth3

CALIF-PROLAW19 said:
My further response:

That was my point.

IAAL
No, I got busy with work and then left for the day. I don't have thin skin and I can curse with the best of them when the appropriate occasion and location arises.

I don't know why any of you would remotely support the position that asking someone using totally objectionable language to please stop would be rude. Unfortunately, the hopelessly ill-mannered think the rest of the world should accommodate their rudeness.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">