• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Poor builder quality ~mold in attic~

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hemmat

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin.

Hello,

I am selling my home at the moment, and recently I have received an offer, and after the inspection, I noticed that there is massive amounts of mold in my attic. The inspector also told us that our 2 bathrooms are vented through only 1 vent which is illegal. The builders had poor venting in my attic. I have spent 400 dollars putting FIVE vents in my attic, and I payed an inspector 125 dollars to tell me that I need to take the whole thing apart and pay 10-20 THOUSAND dollars. I would like to sue the builder for their poor quality. The builder name is http://www.bielinski.com/ . I have another buyer that just signed an offer, I would like a reply to this ASAP to see if I can do anything about it before I spend thousands of dollars. I built the house in 1999. Can I sue the builder? Thank you. Mohammad Hemmat

pojo2

2 bathrooms are vented through only 1 vent which is illegal.

Was it illegal in 99'?

I am the wrong person to answer the mold question I admit I am not objective in my views that the whole topic is WAY over blown. Describe MASSIVE.

Was the home built to code in 1999 such as insulation, vents, etc.?

Buk1000

Was this the builder? http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/politics/14399504.htm I don't doubt that a lot of mold would cost thousands to remediate. The problem is, there are a lot of upshoot companies that do a poor job and charge a ton of money.

For starters, the defects that caused it need to ALL be found and fixed, and rotted materials including insulation removed and replaced. Regardless of what one thinks about mold as a health hazard, if it has rotted the materials they are no longer doing their job and could be unsafe, especially rotted support structures.

It also takes extensive remediation to please the insurance companies or they will not insure the house. I do not have a link to the "CLUE Report" but it's an insurance industry resource about homes that may have problems they won't insure. If no insurance can be obtained on the address, you usually can't sell it. And, trying to pretend it isn't happening often gets buyers sued for failure to disclose.

Your state's statute of limitations, and any warranty you may still have, will tell you if you have any recourse against the builder after this long. I am guessing you don't, or that if you do, it will be very difficult to accomplish. Is the builder even still in business, and is it the same corporation? If not, he is even more bullet-proof.

FYI these kinds of mistakes are too common. No reputable builder should be getting these things wrong. But they do, and code departments usually fail to adequately inspect or enforce. IMO all new homes should be thoroughly inspected before purchase, and buyers should walk away from any builder whose contract won't allow independent inspections.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">