• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Request for Resources

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

butterscotch

What is the name of your state? I live in Ohio. My attorney filed a motion to withdraw and at his request I retrieved my files. It is very interesting to find documents and additional information previously unknown to me. I was aware my husband's attorney had made alot of allegations about me, filed financial disclosure in affidavits that are untrue. I was unsure if it was my husband's confabulations or his attorney's lack of ethics.
I am just now aware that although I consulted an attorney for family law the day after I was served, he had never filed anything with the court. There are letters that went back and forth between attorneys for four (4) months but he did nothing, he never filed representation. I left him to seek another counselor in family law who has been active.
The reason he withdrew was because I would not sign a joint income tax statement that appeared under my door on April 26th. Not because it was a late filing, or because it clearly documents my husband day-trading despite restraining order, or that it refutes financial statements my husband's attorney submitted to court, or because it has a claim of $6,000+ for legal fees for my husband but because I had no input. My husband had my name taken off our joint accounts and moved $50,000 out of our joint investments.
After filing for spousal support in June, I received my first check in December. I have used my all my savings and my credit to pay expenses for representation ($40,000) and $4,000 for medical expenses and had no input on this return. Nobody said anything to me about it.
I know the procedure for filing a complaint according to the Bar. I have read the state Rules of Court, Code of Professional Responsibility.
I wonder, is this ridiculous? Am I paranoid to think something else is going on?

Last edited:

garrula lingua

Did the atty give you a detailed bill ?
How did he get to $40,000 ?
Ever hear the word 'churning' ?
The highest area of complaints against attorneys ? Family Law

Examine your bill. If you dispute some charges, your local Bar Association may provide a mediation service regarding billing.

As to paperwork not shared with you, if it was material to the issues, or if lack of disclosure, to you, resulted in added charges, then, file a complaint with your state bar.

They will investigate and will decide if your atty's acts and billings were appropriate. They can also require restitution to you of over-billing, if they deem it appropriate.

B

butterscotch

Thank you. Reread my post thinking something I wrote must have been out of line. No one responded. So thank you. Very difficult process. Unique language, mysterious meetings, everyone talking about you behind your back. I'll follow up with the Bar.

First attorney filed nothing. Second attorney filed immediately (June) but it has been delay, delay then November the Magistrate made his ruling on temporary spousal support.

Never heard the term churning. Have heard "all blow, no show".

Opposing council files and make allegations with no evidence. The defendant does all the work, pays the cost and if lucky enough to survive, a divorce is granted.

First time with this legal business. Who the hell would ever get married twice??!

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">