• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harassed but not sexually

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kowarren

i am a female who works for N.C.department of corrections for a year and i have been harassed by a female sgt. since march 2000. the sgt. would yell at me infront of inmates and other officers and would try to snagg me up to get me introuble or to make me quit.i have documented dates and times places and what happened and what was said. i even talked to a lot of people concerning same.i turned in a grievance statement on oct.11 and no one has helped me at the department .all the sgt.'s will treat me differently since i turned in the grievance and i have been sick alot lately prior to me turning in my grievance i was told that me being sick alot could be cause i'm stressing alot over work.i feel asthough i have no help in a dangerous situation.my doctors has put me on paxil and prozac and recommended me to see mental health which i did and they say i am suffering from panic/anxiety attacks.i have never had a panic attack until i turned in my grievance and felt everyone was against me.my doctor recommends me to find another job.it has been over 2 months before i heard anything about my grievance and things still hasn't changed so i went ahead and turned in my resignation my last day is dec.24.(over 2 weeks ago) and on dec. 15 i received a written warning for an incident that happened in oct.and i feel it was because i was being harassed and cause i turned in a grievance on their favorite sgt. that i can not appeal. then on dec. 18 i received a written response to my grievance and they found no harassment on me.i feel asthough i have been in a hostile work environment for a long time with no help ,making me physcically sick. i was told that if i had filed a sexual harassment things would be different but i ask why? it is the same for me i'd rather have been sexually harassed. what should i do now. i can appeal the grievance but is it worth it if i am leaving anyways.i am not getting fired but i feel asthough i am being forced to quit cause the harassment is still there no help and too stressful.

[Edited by kowarren on 12-19-2000 at 01:12 AM]

A

Always searching

I have to reply even though I know I will be slammed.

You like controversy or you would be working in a different industry. Either deal with it or get out. If you are that stressed, look for another job. Listen to your doctor and practice Capital letters and spaces.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Although there are genuine situations where someone may recover in a legal suit against an employer for such harassment it would be considered constructive termination, your situation doesn't sound like one.

It sounds like you think life is fair -- it isn't. Your attempts with filing grievances left and right sounds a bit childish and unprofessional. Your doctor is right. Get out while you still have your sanity.

L

Lutzgirl

You might want to keep trying. There is a book out, I believe called "Stopping the Train". The subject deals with the case where the courts ruled that Same Sex Harrassment
is a FACT ! If you truly believe you were wronged, this is the book for you.
Good Luck !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">