• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

foundations off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nell

New York
One of my new foundations corners is off by two feet; by code,the minimum side yard is seven feet, my corner is at five feet! the building department has stopped me from building untill I get this matter fixed. I also own the lot next to where I'm building; can a right of way/easement help me in this case? I would like to avoid appling for a variance which it will take months before the building department will make a decision.
Are there any other solutions?

Regards
Nell

justalayman

One of my new foundations corners is off by two feet; by code,the minimum side yard is seven feet, my corner is at five feet! the building department has stopped me from building untill I get this matter fixed.
and whose fault is this?
I also own the lot next to where I'm building; can a right of way/easement help me in this case?
No
I would like to avoid appling for a variance which it will take months before the building department will make a decision.
might be the best solution though.
Are there any other solutions?
Yes, you can redefine the properties giving the requuired 2 feet to this lot, IF it does not adversely affect the other lot.

Nell

the foundation contractor is to blame; can I get him to fix this problem?what if he refuses?

justalayman

Nell said:
the foundation contractor is to blame; can I get him to fix this problem?what if he refuses?
Obviously we cannot read any contract you may have with the contractor so that would have to be followed, but with the info you gave;
yes, the contractor needs to fix the problem.

If he refuses you would be best served by retaining a local attorney to handle this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">