• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Have A Right To Work ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

onlyabear

Dear Free Advice,
I work in Virginia for a large unionized grocery chain.
I am 3 1/2 mo. pregnant & have had complications. I've been in & out of work, due to Dr.'s orders. The Dr. has released me to work , but with a "modified duty" restriction which basically disables me from performing my usual job(it is relatively strenuous). I intend to follow Dr.'s orders & not take an unnecessary risk mith my pregnancy. The company has decided that I am not allowed to work until all restrictions are lifted, which is most likely 6-8 wks. after the baby is born. Meanwhile, I have the right to apply for disability pay through my union, which I'm pursuing. This reaches the limit of 36 weeks approx. 1-2 wks.after the baby is born. This is 2/3 my regular income; & for obvious reasons, I need as much income as possible these days. There are plenty of help needs in nearby stores (maybe even mine), that I could skillfully fill within my medical limits. They refuse to place me. They said they are only obligated to place employees (at any store near you)on Worker's Comp., when they are on "light duty". Otherwise, they don't place you, but give your store manager the option of keeping you on. If (s)he declines, you cannot go to another store, even if they need you & you want to go. This sounds ridiculous to me. How about to you?
Thank you for your time...........onlyabear

B

buddy2bear

I suggest that you look up the Pregnancy Discrimination Act and read it over. I then suggest you go to your Union steward and see what he/she has to say. If that person is of no help, then I suggest you talk to your local's president. Pregnancy can be considered a temporary disability and, therefore, you should be eligible for the light duty, particularly if others have been. Pregnancy is to be treated as any other sickness/injury. If your local's president doesn't want to do anything, then call the EEOC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">