• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone STOLE my website!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JuDDer

Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of a situation here and I really dont know which way to turn.

I run a website that somebody has literally copied word for word, including all my original graphics and artwork. It appears they have just visited every page on the site and hit the 'Save' button on their browser to download the entire contents of each document. All they have changed is the website name.

This is where things get even more tricky.

I myself live in England but my website is hosted in Miami Florida, and the 'stolen' website is hosted in Pheonix, AZ.

I have looked up who has registered the domain name where the stolen site is hosted and the registered owner is actually the name of the guy who runs the web hosting company who hosts the site.

I have not done anything about this yet as the 'stolen' version of my site appears to be under development still and I wanted to see just what was happening, but I got an email from the guy which matches the email of the registered owner of the domain name for the stolen site and the web hosting company, posing as a potential advertiser trying to get information and rates from me. I have not let on yet that I know who he is and what he is doing.

I really dont know what to do and what laws apply due to the locations of myself, my website, the stolen site and the fact that funds are very limited.

If anyone can advise I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance,
JuDDer

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Pretty interesting =--- I had a client who had his website mirrored illegally with unauthorized links and graphics links to the person who hosted/designed his site.

You hire an intellectual property attorney to file a cease and desist, breach of contract, misappropriation, etc per federal copyright laws AND statutory rules in the host state.

Trust me == it will work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">