• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Written up for not making up time - legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zeuss

What is the name of your state? Michigan - My husband works in a non-union machine shop. Two weeks ago he had a doctor's appointment that could not be missed or made later because our doctor doesn't have a late night. He filled out the proper paperwork at work to notify them that he would be gone for it. From the result of his doctor's appointment my husband had to go to the hospital for tests. He did not get done in time to go back to work that day but he did call them and let them know about the situation. He had to schedule a two day stress test for the following week. Wed. he left work early to go to part one of it and it ran until work was out. Thursday he left early went to part 2 and then returned to work. He filled out all of the proper paperwork at work as soon as he knew when the tests were. Friday morning when he got to work he got written up for missing time and not attempting to make it up. He has been on mandatory 50 hours a week for the past year, he had already worked 43 hours the week of his stress test. He has to pick our daughter up at 5pm and told them that he couldn't have worked over to make it up because he gets out at 4:30pm and has obligations. They asked him why his wife (me) couldn't do it, he told them that I was also on mandatory 10 hour days at my shop. I am in training to be a manager and going on salary pay so I have to be here too. They asked him "so your telling us that your wife's job is more important then yours?" at this point he knew there was no agreeing. He was notifed from a posting on the board and verbal that he was on mandatory 50 hours a week. He was told that he HAD to make up his time when he misses. They told him if it happened again he would get another write up and two days off with no pay then again after that he would be fired. My question is, can they do this legally? He has a follow up appointment tomorrow and is making up his time on Wed.

zeuss

If there are not enough hours in the day and there is not anyone at his work so he can make it all up then they accept that but you have to at least make an attempt. They won't stick around long enough in case he needs to stay longer in order to get it all made up and that's ok but if you don't stay long enough you get written up. Why would this be legal, because they can make up the rules as they go??

mlane58

zeuss said:
If there are not enough hours in the day and there is not anyone at his work so he can make it all up then they accept that but you have to at least make an attempt. They won't stick around long enough in case he needs to stay longer in order to get it all made up and that's ok but if you don't stay long enough you get written up. Why would this be legal, because they can make up the rules as they go??
Lets put it this way-----Its legal because there isn't anything written in the law that states that it is illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">