• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrasment????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noahaiden

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I work at a very small bank - total of about 40 employess. I am the head teller and recently I was asked to sit down with our CEO and my direct supervisor to have a short discussion about a problem we were having with one of our customers. I was already not looking forward to it because no one likes to have to deal with our CEO.... I had prepared a spreadsheet that pertained to our customer's issue and was ready for the meeting when my supervisor called and said she would be out of work that day. I then sent an email to the CEO's secretary and asked if he still wanted to see me since my supervisor was not there. She replied that yes he did. At this point I was extremely nervous having to meet with him without my supervisor there, but I figured it was just going to be a quick meeting about this customer so I didn't have anything to worry about. I went into the meeting after work (4:30) and our CFO (who is a female) was there, having been asked by our CEO to sit in on the meeting. We began by talking about the customer we were suppose to be talking about, but then after about 15 minutes (to make a very long story short) it went to basicaly an interogation of how I do my job. We had previously had an incident at work where another employee had made a mistake, only at the time of the meeting I still did not know who had made the mistake only that it had been made. He proceeded to say stuff like "So when *you* make this mistake." and "When *you* get chewed out for making this mistake." only he wasn't saying *you* he was saying my name like he was talking to someone about me. I thought by the middle of the meeting that I was going to loose my job because I was the one who had made the mistake. I finally asked "So am I the one that made the mistake?" and the CFO said no it wasn't you. He then proceeded to call me a "teller babe" several times throughout the meeting. At one point he was asking me a question and I was answering it the best way I could and he was not understanding my answer. he then looked at the CFO and said ver sarcastically "Is she answering my question?" I felt like I was on trial the entire time. I was so nervous, I was sweating when I left. Finally after about 2 hours the CFO said "I think she needs to get home to her family." I was in such shock I couldn't hardly say 2 words the whole time. I left and called my supervisor immediatly on the way home to tell her what had happened. The next morning I went in and told the COO what had happend and that I was very upset at the way things had been handled and what had been said and he basically said "I don't know what to tell you. There is not a whole lot I can do about his attitude." The CEO had in the meantime left a card at my teller window apologizing for keeping me so late. I have only been here 3 months, have been in bankning since 2000 and have never done anything that deserves being talked to the way I was talked to. I don't think this constitutes as sexual harrasment, but I feel that it is harrasment none the less...

mitousmom

While the CEO's treatment of you wasn't professional, it doesn't appear to have violated any of the federal anti-discrimination statutes prohibiting harassment. You haven't provided any information that suggests that his treatment was based on your race, religion, national origin, color, age or disability. While the term "teller babe" could be offensive and derogatory to women, his use of the term several times during your encounter probably isn't sufficiently egregious or pervasive to rise to the level of illegal harassment based on sex. If he continues to use such terms in your presence, you need to let him know that you consider the terms offensive to women and ask that he stop.

It's highly probably that no one "likes to deal with our CEO" precisely because of his apparent lack of social and/or communication skills.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">