• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marital property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mort

Hi,

My wife and I are still living together, but things aren't looking good. I'm suspecting she's having an affair, but i have no proof. It looks like we're heading for a divorce, and we've talked of separating. Recently, I've become suspicous she's hiding assets. (I found a slip to a checking account she didn't tell me about only in her name) Also, she's coming into a modest inheritance, (about 25k) but has already told me I have no claim to it if/when we divorce. The ironic thing is, when we got married 13 years ago, I came into an inheritance (90k), which gave us our start. (we bought a house, etc) If the marriage ends, I can accept that, but I don't want to end up getting taken. There are no kids and we live in Michigan.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mort said:
Hi,

My wife and I are still living together, but things aren't looking good. I'm suspecting she's having an affair, but i have no proof. It looks like we're heading for a divorce, and we've talked of separating. Recently, I've become suspicous she's hiding assets. (I found a slip to a checking account she didn't tell me about only in her name) Also, she's coming into a modest inheritance, (about 25k) but has already told me I have no claim to it if/when we divorce. The ironic thing is, when we got married 13 years ago, I came into an inheritance (90k), which gave us our start. (we bought a house, etc) If the marriage ends, I can accept that, but I don't want to end up getting taken. There are no kids and we live in Michigan.

My response:

Thanks for your story.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 12-20-2000 at 04:16 AM]

M

mort

>>Thanks for my story<<

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by that. Do you have any advice for me, or are you making fun of my situation?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mort said:
>>Thanks for my story<<

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by that. Do you have any advice for me, or are you making fun of my situation?
My response:

No. I was looking for a question, but found none. Without a specific question, your post becomes merely a story to us.

Not being the type of person to "assume" what a person wants, I thought I might just thank you instead. Some people just come here to let off a little steam.

So, when you write some specific questions (rather than the overbroad question, "What are my rights" or "Is this legal"), I would be more than happy to help you.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 12-19-2000 at 09:16 PM]

M

mort

Well, instead of your smart alec remark, you could have asked for my specific questions. I don't know who you are, but you could display a little sensitivity towards people going through a difficult time. Put yourself in my shoes.

Here are my questions for thos who chose to offer some help:

1. What are my options regarding her siphoning off assets? Can she do this? What would someone with legal training do in this situation?

2. She mentioned I had no right to claim a portion of her inheritance. Is this correct in the State of MI? Does the fact that I brought an inheritance into the marriage have any bearing? (i.e. I have no claim on her inheritance, then should she have a claim on mine?)

3. If she has an extra marital affair, how does this weigh in? I believe MI is a no fault divorce State, but would this get taken into consideration if a judge were to divide the assets.

4. Any other general legal advice for a person in my situation?

Thanks to anyone kind enough to offer help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Now, you get no responses.

Now, you get to spend money on an attorney.

You see Mort, I could have been very helpful to you. For example, here's a response from a very satisfied customer from these Boards:

"THANK YOU!!!
To: I AM LIABLE

You are the best!!! If it makes you feel a lil' better, I really did put in some hours on this. Amazing information, and a little scary if you don't quite know what you're looking for. I appreciate your intentions for me to research and learn for myself. I thank you, my brother especially thanks you and my family thanks you. As for the big kiss. . . you got it. Again, thank you for all you did.
Love-n-hugs,
Denise Dulaney"

So, you blew it big time by biting the hand that was going to feed your mind.

How's that for a Merry Christmas ?

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 12-20-2000 at 12:57 AM]

LegalBeagle

mort said:
Well, instead of your smart alec remark, you could have asked for my specific questions. I don't know who you are, but you could display a little sensitivity towards people going through a difficult time. Put yourself in my shoes.
This is almost akin to telling the nice officer who is only giving you a warning that he looks like a whore that you screwed last night.

If I were in your shoes, I would have research this site, realized that IAAL was a top notch legal expat and been nice to him.

M

mort

I'm sorry. Things have been pretty stressful, and I thought you were just someone getting a kick out of my predicament. I didn't realize you're a sincere poster. Sorry.

G

Grandma B

mort said:
I'm sorry. Things have been pretty stressful, and I thought you were just someone getting a kick out of my predicament. I didn't realize you're a sincere poster. Sorry.

Right, but no tears! You've been posting on these boards much longer than it would take a person of even mediocre intelligence to realize that IAAL is a sincere poster. And I'm not saying all YOUR posts were sincere.

At any rate, you've managed to turn off three attorneys who spend a great deal of time assisting people on these boards.

M

mort

Grndma B.

What do you mean? You must be mistaking me for someone else. I just registered a couple of days ago and had no idea who I'm always liable is. I thought he was having a laugh at my expense. Why didn't he just ask what my question was instead of "thanking me for my story". Can't you see how that was ambiguous and could lead to a misunderstanding? I realize I overreacted, and I did apologize for it. As I said, this is a trying time for me. I made a mistake. Instead of taking that into consideration and maybe giving me another chance, I get showered with criticism, even after my apology. If my transgression is unforgivable, fine. I'll accept that. I just hope none of you guys have to go through my situation. We're all just one step away from humility.

Merry Christmas (not meant sarcastically)

G

Grandma B

mort said:
Grndma B.

What do you mean? You must be mistaking me for someone else. I just registered a couple of days ago and had no idea who I'm always liable is. I thought he was having a laugh at my expense. Why didn't he just ask what my question was instead of "thanking me for my story". Can't you see how that was ambiguous and could lead to a misunderstanding? I realize I overreacted, and I did apologize for it. As I said, this is a trying time for me. I made a mistake. Instead of taking that into consideration and maybe giving me another chance, I get showered with criticism, even after my apology. If my transgression is unforgivable, fine. I'll accept that. I just hope none of you guys have to go through my situation. We're all just one step away from humility.

Merry Christmas (not meant sarcastically)
Okay, click on the search button under one of your posts. The earlier posts indicate you were not registered at the time of the postings.

If you re-read IAAL's first two posts, you might recognize that he has a delicious sense of humor, and he really did offer to help you IF you asked specific questions. YOU chose to attack him.

By the way, I have been through your situation (at least a related one). After raising 4 children while working full time and being responsible for all household chores, paying bills, etc., a truly chauvinistic judge saw fit to reward my husband by giving him not only half of everything I
had earned, but a large percentage of my retirement pay to boot. All this to a man who never helped with the house or the children, and spent all his time at home eating and watching TV. He is also a very unsuccessful salesman (can't sell cars watching TV in the showroom) who contributed very minimally to the household income.

But guess what, he's a loser and I'm a survivor.

Merry Christmas to you too.

M

mort

Well, I can assure you I'm new here. If calling someone a smart alec is an attack, well then I guess I'm guilty. I don't understand his "delicous sense of humor", and I won't even comment on his follow up reply of 12/20. Anyhow, I'm genuinely sad to hear about your situation. I know where you're coming from. You sound like a tough cookie, and as difficult as your ordeal was, at least you're free now. Hang in there and again, have a very Merry Christmas!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">