• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Too long to fix my car!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SAGE

I'm not really sure where in the realm of law my complaint falls, but I'll put it here for now....
About a month ago, I was having troubles with my car. I took it to my local mechanic and was told that the problem was a bad fuel pump. The new pump was ordered and installed and I paid over $430. Thinking that everything was fine and dandy I went about my weekly business as usual. One evening while driving home from school, my car died. I was four miles from the nearest town and I had to walk in the bitter cold to the town and call family members to give me a ride home. The next day I called the shop where I had taken my car and I told the guy that my car had left me stranded. The car was taken back to the shop and it's been there ever since. I call every week to find out what's going on and I never get a satisfactory answer. It's been there three weeks this time and I called today and I was told that they are having trouble getting the part and it was supposedly on back order. I feel that since they already got their money from the first time they installed the pump, they now are taking their sweet time getting to my car. In the meantime, I had to borrow a truck from my dad to get to and from work. I asked for a loaner car from the shop but was refused. More excuses. There has been alot of bad weather and snow where I live and the truck I am forced to drive is a rear-wheel drive, it has no handling and is terrible on gas. I fear that I will slide into a ditch driving this thing. Not to mention that I have to listen to my dad bitch about me borrowing the truck. I'm sick and tired of waiting, but I don't want to take my car somewhere else because I would have to spend more money. I would have to have it towed to a new place and I would have to pay for the new fuel pump. The current shop will have to replace the pump for free. Also, I live in a small town, and this is the only shop in town. I really have no choice.

My question....Is there anything legally that I can do to compensate for this poor service and the headaches that I'm going through to get this seemingly simple repair finished.

Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

SAGE said:
I'm not really sure where in the realm of law my complaint falls, but I'll put it here for now....
About a month ago, I was having troubles with my car. I took it to my local mechanic and was told that the problem was a bad fuel pump. The new pump was ordered and installed and I paid over $430. Thinking that everything was fine and dandy I went about my weekly business as usual. One evening while driving home from school, my car died. I was four miles from the nearest town and I had to walk in the bitter cold to the town and call family members to give me a ride home. The next day I called the shop where I had taken my car and I told the guy that my car had left me stranded. The car was taken back to the shop and it's been there ever since. I call every week to find out what's going on and I never get a satisfactory answer. It's been there three weeks this time and I called today and I was told that they are having trouble getting the part and it was supposedly on back order. I feel that since they already got their money from the first time they installed the pump, they now are taking their sweet time getting to my car. In the meantime, I had to borrow a truck from my dad to get to and from work. I asked for a loaner car from the shop but was refused. More excuses. There has been alot of bad weather and snow where I live and the truck I am forced to drive is a rear-wheel drive, it has no handling and is terrible on gas. I fear that I will slide into a ditch driving this thing. Not to mention that I have to listen to my dad bitch about me borrowing the truck. I'm sick and tired of waiting, but I don't want to take my car somewhere else because I would have to spend more money. I would have to have it towed to a new place and I would have to pay for the new fuel pump. The current shop will have to replace the pump for free. Also, I live in a small town, and this is the only shop in town. I really have no choice.

My question....Is there anything legally that I can do to compensate for this poor service and the headaches that I'm going through to get this seemingly simple repair finished.

Thanks.

My response:

Well, aren't you a great advertisement for the Cell Phone industry !

We'd like to assist you; however, you apparently didn't see that red writing up at the top of the page. Without your State name, or the name of the State where the problem happened, it would be difficult to assist you. Laws are different everywhere.

Thank you for your cooperation, and we look forward to you editing your post.

IAAL

S

SAGE

You better believe it! I wish I had a cell phone on the night I got stranded.
I'm from Missouri, the "Show Me" state. The only thing this shop is showing me is extreme bad service!

I'd appreciate all help.....Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

SAGE said:
You better believe it! I wish I had a cell phone on the night I got stranded.
I'm from Missouri, the "Show Me" state. The only thing this shop is showing me is extreme bad service!

I'd appreciate all help.....Thanks.
My response:

All About Autos booklets can be obtained by calling the Missouri Attorney General's toll-free Consumer Protection Hotline, 800-392-8222.

CAR REPAIR
Automobile repair problems consistently rank among the top consumer complaints that Missourians make to the Attorney General's Office.
Each year thousands of complaints are logged. The majority of them involve overcharging, poor workmanship and deceptive repair practices.
In Missouri, state consumer laws prohibit unfair and deceptive practices in auto repair. Mechanics who mislead, deceive or make misrepresentations to consumers may be subject to penalties under the Merchandising Practices Act found in Chapter 407 of the Missouri Revised Statutes.
Common sense, advance planning and using a little caution can help you avoid many common auto repair difficulties.
TIPS TO FOLLOW WHEN YOU HAVE CAR PROBLEMS
Research repair shops. Ask friends and neighbors if they know a reliable mechanic. Contact your local Better Business Bureau to check a shop's reputation.
Before you take your car to the shop, pay attention to your car's problem. Be specific in describing your car's symptoms and tell the mechanic about any past repairs for similar trouble. Although you may not fully understand the technical terms, carefully listen to the mechanic's diagnosis. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something.
Get a cost estimate in writing and instruct the mechanic to call for authorization before making repairs not listed on the original repair order.
If you believe the mechanic has recommended unnecessary work or you are dissatisfied with the estimate, get a second opinion. A second opinion is an especially good idea when your car needs major repairs.
If the mechanic recommends replacing certain parts, ask for the old parts. You may receive credit on some parts if the mechanic wants to keep them. However some used parts may not have any credit value. It's a particularly good idea to keep the old parts if you are concerned that unnecessary work is being done. Remember, if you want the old parts returned, that information must be included on the repair order before the work begins.
DEALING WITH DISPUTES
Many disputes arise when consumers pick up their cars and see the service bills. How to avoid them:
Make sure the repair order specifically lists the labor, parts and services performed. Be sure the repairs listed on the repair order cover all the problems you described.
If the work is guaranteed, get all the warranty information in writing on the repair order or bill.
If you do have a problem, such as the bill greatly exceeds the estimate or the repairs were made improperly, always go back to the original mechanic. Often, a dispute can be settled quickly and calmly.
If the business refuses to correct the problem or answer your questions about the bill, then legal action may be appropriate. Your options include contacting the Attorney General's Office, Better Business Bureau or your own attorney. You might want to contact all three simultaneously to get quicker results.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">