• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owner needing Appointment during Construction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Derrick1

What is the name of your state? NJ. Do owner needs appointment and set up time to visit his own house during construction ? Builder restricting and wants me off limit of site due to insurance purpose. ? if so can i agree sign documents or just plain certified letter not to sue him in case. ??

BelizeBreeze

there is nothing illegal about the practice. In fact, I wouldn't let you on the premsis without such a release. Who knows how clumsy you are ;)

justalayman

Derrick1 said:
What is the name of your state? NJ. Do owner needs appointment and set up time to visit his own house during construction ? Builder restricting and wants me off limit of site due to insurance purpose. ? if so can i agree sign documents or just plain certified letter not to sue him in case. ??
There are myriad reasons they do not want you on premises without a company rep. Liability is only one of them.

Derrick1

Owner needing Appointment

For last 2 mths or so i had visited every day but since last week there were few issues and I ask questions, I found out they cut the corner and did not complete the work as required and they knew they got caught red handed, and then later the builder wanted to set up appointment that made my suspicious more stronger that they have messed up.

Buk1000

While liability seems to be a valid reason, IMO, the real reason most builders want to keep customers off site now is that more buyers are getting wise to shortcuts, know codes aren't well enforced and are hiring their own inspectors. The builders can very conveniently put you off until shortcuts are hidden. For the benefit of other readers at least, do not agree to this in your contract.

justalayman

Buk1000 said:
While liability seems to be a valid reason, IMO, the real reason most builders want to keep customers off site now is that more buyers are getting wise to shortcuts, know codes aren't well enforced and are hiring their own inspectors. The builders can very conveniently put you off until shortcuts are hidden. For the benefit of other readers at least, do not agree to this in your contract.

Then people need to start wrinting into their contracts that they (buyer) is required to inspect anything and everything they feel neccessary as it is built. They should make it so they are there when inspectors are inspecting. They can write into their contract that an engineer, inspecter, or what ever other person they want to look at the structure does so.

If this is such a big problem, people need to protect themselves.

The other thing they can do is hire a reputable builder they trust and have reason to trust.

averad

justalayman said:
The other thing they can do is hire a reputable builder they trust and have reason to trust.
But then how can we save money ;) Isnt the rule More money = Less Quality?

John Se

who owns the land?

you see its not really your house (if you dont own the land) until the builder transfers title.

Buk1000

I do agree wholeheartedly that people need to have better contracts. They should not agree to buy from builders who won't use a fair and balanced contract. I've seen that buyers are slowly getting wiser but during the boom the builders were still calling the shots, and too many buyers were willing to ignore potential problems just to get in a new house. The idea that it was an "investment" fueled that. Now many of those buyers are upside down in "exotic" mortgages, instead of being able to resell and make money. That was predictable IMO. Anyway, finding a trustworthy builder these days is not that easy. Therefore, people need to demand the contract be balanced, be able to have independent inspections, etc. If they don't demand it they won't get it.

justalayman said:
Then people need to start wrinting into their contracts that they (buyer) is required to inspect anything and everything they feel neccessary as it is built. They should make it so they are there when inspectors are inspecting. They can write into their contract that an engineer, inspecter, or what ever other person they want to look at the structure does so.

If this is such a big problem, people need to protect themselves.

LindaP777

If I were you, I would visit after hours . . . take your camera.
(There are many ways to get into a house under construction and no, you don't have to break a thing.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">