• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friends at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samsmom

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am friends with a girl at work who is not liked by our CFO and other managers. I personally have no problem with her, but I don't know why she is unliked by those in charge. At any rate, our HR manager pulled me (and a couple other employees separately) in to point out that "they" had noticed this girl and I had become friendly, meaning we take lunch together and chat periodically during the day. "They" wanted to discourage me from becoming too friendly with her and to avoide the appearance of a clique. Once in awhile we go out to lunch, but for the most part we eat in our lunchroom with other employees who happen to be eating at the same time. There is nothing unusual about our friendship, they just don't like her.

Can companies tell you who you can and can't be friends with/talk to? Our lunch period is our own time, we are not on the clock. I can see that while you're on the clock they may tell you not to talk and do your work, but it still seems a little off the wall to me to limit it to just this person.

Thanks. :confused:

mlane58

samsmom said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am friends with a girl at work who is not liked by our CFO and other managers. I personally have no problem with her, but I don't know why she is unliked by those in charge. At any rate, our HR manager pulled me (and a couple other employees separately) in to point out that "they" had noticed this girl and I had become friendly, meaning we take lunch together and chat periodically during the day. "They" wanted to discourage me from becoming too friendly with her and to avoide the appearance of a clique. Once in awhile we go out to lunch, but for the most part we eat in our lunchroom with other employees who happen to be eating at the same time. There is nothing unusual about our friendship, they just don't like her.

Can companies tell you who you can and can't be friends with/talk to? Our lunch period is our own time, we are not on the clock. I can see that while you're on the clock they may tell you not to talk and do your work, but it still seems a little off the wall to me to limit it to just this person.

Thanks. :confused:
The employer can dictate who you speak, work and socialize with while at their work site. You might not like it, but your employer obvisouly sees this employee as not being there too much longer and is looking out for your best interest by trying to get you to stay away. You don't have to heed your employer's advice, but then you can go down the same road as the other employee too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">