• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

job discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shook

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was hired at a local dealership was asked if I had any felonies or DWI's
I said no. I do have a misdemeanor for indecent exposure but it is ten years old
with no record before or sence. But that is the reason they fired me.

In Massachusetts
It is illegal for an employer to ask certain questions about a job applicant's or employee's criminal record. Employers may not ask about, maintain a record of, or base any employment decision on the following information if they have requested it:

Arrests or prosecution that did not lead to a conviction;
A first conviction for drunkenness, simple assault, speeding, minor traffic violations, affray, or disturbance of the peace;
Misdemeanors where the date of conviction or the end of any period of incarceration was more than five years ago, provided that there have been no subsequent convictions within those five years;
Any record of a court appearance which has been sealed under state law;
Anything pertaining to juvenile record, including delinquency and child in need of services complaints, unless the juvenile was tried as an adult in Superior Court.
An employer may not take action against an applicant or employee for answering an unlawful question untruthfully.

My question is what are my legal rights in North Carolina.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">