• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile work envrionment or harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AmyZak

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

This is cut and paste from another forum I asked in, please excuse the lack of continuity.

Alright, here's my story, I want opinions here please.

*Warning: offensive words quoted in this*

I work in child care with about 25 other women. It's a small business owned by one male. He sits at his desk all day and does nothing but shout at people when they walk by. It's not always harsh, usually it's because he's bored and needs someone to talk to. Anyway, when he's talking to you, person to person, he'll use phrases like (warning, not so nice words here) "that c***" or "that t***" to refer to parents of the children or even other employees. He'll even use it in reference to the person he's talking to "c***" and think nothing of it. When he feels you're becoming uptight he'll tell you to "go f*** a dead n*****" and I've had enough. Not only does he use this language around adults, he also says things loud enough so that children could possibly hear him, he's inside the daycare. He also walks around grabbing himself when you say things he doesn't agree to. It's disgusting. There are at least 10 other employees, past and present, that I can think of that would stand behind me if I went forward with this law suit, but is it worth it? He's the only owner and I'm afraid that they won't take the business away from him. If that happens we'll all be out of jobs and he'll have won anyway. Also, during the whole process I don't know if he'll be allowed on the premises. We all want to keep our jobs, we love it there, we just can't stand his words and actions toward people. If anyone can give me any advice please do so! You can email me at [email protected] with any answers/questions/advise.

He's been asked multiple times by myself and other employees to please watch his language because of the children. Anytime he calls people nasty things we correct him by saying things like "you mean that woman right?" It's like we're dealing with a toddler that doesn't understand the meaning of the word no. I think we're just the first group of workers that have gotten fed up with it. Oh, and I forgot to mention this in my first post- he's violent. Now, he's smart enough to never have witnesses, but I've seen proof of his violence. His ex-girlfriend, one of our best employees who has since quit, came in with bruises all around her arm where he grabbed her and on her chin where he bit her. A grown man, in his 60's, bit someone. I just want to make sure that we have a solid case against him, we want the business taken away from him, I really don't care who ends up with it, anything is better than this.

If I report this to the state Department of Public Welfare I really don't know what they're going to do. He's got no record of violence. No one who has been physically hurt by him has ever reported him. I also know for a fact that he would never not come in. He's divorced twice, for obvious reasons, and his kids live on the other side of the country, again, for obvious reasons. He's got nothing to do all day but sit around and do this. I know that we need to put the children first, if it came down to keeping my job here and putting the children at risk or looking elsewhere and shutting him down I'd shut him down in a heartbeat. I just know that as a staff we're one of the most caring groups around and I'd hate to see that group broken up. I know that one of our teachers offered to buy the business from him a while back. I'll talk to her to see if she's still interested and then go from there. If she takes over the business after we take him down I'll be much happier. The kids can stay where they're comfortable and the teachers can too. I just don't know how long the whole process would take, that's one of my concerns. I don't want to work around him during the whole ordeal. I can't stand him as is and barely give him the time of day, I don't know how I would do it with this going on. I'll keep everyone updated, thanks for the opinions and advice.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

turbowray

omg!!

First of all i can not give you legal advise on this because i am not experienced enough,but i would say on a personal level that the children are or should be the first focus. I know you want to keep your job,but this guy is violent and how do we know that he wont be with a child that he may run across that makes him mad...second off,i would think that if the parents were aware of what thier children were being privy to hear,since they pay for proffesional child care services,they would and should pull thier kids out of here and maybe you could work for a new owner when it is under new management and new clients come in!! I would think that him grabbing himself in a dirogitory way (sp?) is different than the words that come out of his mouth...once again i dont know but a senior member will give you some advise and tell you if i am wrong on any of this response. In my opinion,it is one thing if a child overhears something being said at a store,but to hear it where this guy is actually getting paid for taking care of these children might fall under a different catagory. Senior members help please :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">