• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying for a trial that was dismissed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

myra

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I hired an attorney for a claim filed against me, (misdemeanor) I paid the attorney the amount he said would be the (total charge) including the trial.
On the trial date the person that filed the claim against me did not show up for the trial, and the case was dismissed,

I ask my attorney when the case was dismissed since this was not tried if I would get the difference in money paid, for the trial,
He said he would call me he was pushed for time.

He did not get in touch with me, a month later I mailed a letter asking about the difference in money paying for a trial that did not occur. I did not receive a reply,

This is month two I called his office, his staff said they would give him the message; I did not receive a call from him,

My ?
Is this the way the procedure works, the money you pay an attorney he keeps the full amount even though it does not go to trial?

I know he should be paid for his work getting prepared for the trial and am more than happy for him to be paid.
What I don?t understand is this case was not tried appears I?m paying for trial that was not tried,
I have tried to get this question resolved, with mail & phone calls, to my attorney, for three months,

I would appreciate you reply,

JETX

myra said:
Is this the way the procedure works, the money you pay an attorney he keeps the full amount even though it does not go to trial?
First, no one can give you specific advice without reading your attorney-client agreement..

However, the question begs.... Did he make appearance at the SCHEDULED trial??
If so, then he likely fulfilled the obligation and is entitled to be paid. The fact that the other party no-showed has nothing to do with this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">