• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor trying to charge more

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lugnutz

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire
I drew up a contract to have a home torn down and rebuilt for a price. At this point, out of good faith, I have paid my contractor to the point I should have occupancy, but I don't. The house needs kitchen cabinets, carpeting, shelving, bathroom vanities, and the punch list to be completed. My contractor now wants more money due to "the rising cost of building materials and gas" and says he won't finish because he has "$18,000" of his own money in my house due to these increaese. Due to the contract agreement, I believe I can tell him to pump sand as I have already paid him to the point I should have occupancy. I owe him $5,000 from the price we agreed on (which I'll pay if he finishes) and my occupancy date was April 17th with final completion May 17th. He claims "there is a law" that allows him to charge me 10% of the original price due to the influx of price increases over the winter. I want to fire him and hire someone else to finish, then sue him for the cost. Any advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">