• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RDES

What is the name of your state? PA

I work for a non-profit agency, but my position is county funded. My co-worker and I were informed this week that the county could not fund both positions, only one, because there is not enough money at this time. So one of us had to be laid off from the position. My co-worker has seniority; understandably they will stay with the position.

I question if what the county is doing is legal. It has come to my attention that they will be funding a person at another agency to do my job. This will be a new position created for the person that they will be funding. They do not have the qualifications for the job, however they are friends with certain people in the county and they are housed at the county office, also their current position will be terminated shortly because they are funded through a state grant. The person they intend on funding does not do the same job as I, and their only experience in my field was occasionally assisting the person who had my position before me. Also this person has made it no secret that she has wanted one of our positions.

Is it legal for the county to state they cannot fund my position, but then fund another person to do the same job? I know it is not due to qualifications since I posses more and I have received excellent reviews and feedback; therefore it is not lack of job performance either. Should I get this in writing from the county that they can’t pay for two positions at this time? Because when July (All of this is to go into affect by July of this year) comes and the other person is hired, I might have legal recourse?

I hope I explained this properly, since it is a little confusing, and I had to condense the situation. I would be happy to answer any questions or clarify the situation further. Any advice is welcome, I just don’t know what my course of action should be if I even have one.What is the name of your state?

RDES

BelizeBreeze said:
the quick answer is yes, it's legal
Thank you for replying so quickly. Not the answer I probally wanted to hear, since it does seem like it should be illegal. But, I guess it just falls under the category of unfair, and deal with it. Thank you again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">