• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mooching ex girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jasonsmit

mooching girlfriend

This may be a bit lengthy. I have an ex-girlfriend and son that I had moved in with. Prior to moving in I told her that I have my own daughter and can't support her and her son as well as my own. She agreed everything would be split down the middle. After many months of not being able to manage her own money, we agreed that she would turn over her check to me and I would take care of all the the money. This was her idea and she wanted me to do this. So she turned her checks over to me. After making several trips to the bank with her license in tow (because that was the only way I could cash her checks) I asked the ban k if there was anyway we could avoid this hassle. They said put her name on the account. after discussing this with her, with the understanding why I was handling her funds in the first place we put her name on the account. Several monthes later all my money was disappearing. She had gotten checks and a debit card for my account behind my back. She had also lost her job through negligence. So I was supporting her and her son and without my knowledge she was making purchases against my account. She also told me that she would pay me back for all her finances that I was paying for. On top of this I also paid for car repairs and computer repairs she said she would repay me for. After finding out all of this by examining my account, we seperated. After we seperated she told me she would remove her name from my account. This was just recently during finals week so i could not follow up on that. Turns out she continued to write another $300.00 in checks. Fortunately tis was all done under one bank account and most of her purchases were done by check, so I have a record of almost all transactions. I asked her if she was going to pay me back. She said I could take her to court. This money reaches into several thousands. Do I have a case? Whewww.....
Thanx
Jason florida

[Edited by jasonsmit on 12-20-2000 at 06:42 PM]

JETX

You MIGHT have a case. It depends entirely on how well you have documented the 'loans' to her. If this is just a verbal or 'understanding' that you had, you will probably have a tough time trying to show what arrangements (if any) were made for repayment. And specific repayment understanding is critical in showing that these were in fact loans.

My suggestion to you would be to try to 'enhance' your case. Send her a certified, return receipt letter detailing what you are owed and any arrangements that were made. Also include the specifics about dates, amounts, purposes of loans, that she was writing checks without your authorization, etc., anything that you feel will support your position. Keep it neutral and factual, don't get pissy or petty. Close the letter with something like... "Please advise in writing within the next 7 days if you believe that these amounts are in error, or if you do not believe that you should repay me as we agreed." This may not be the 'smoking gun' you are looking for, but it could go a long way to show a judge or jury that your 'loans' were not gifts or mutual expenses.

And I assume it goes without saying (but, I will anyway).. adding her name to your account was not the brightest thing you could do!! At the very least, you should have added your name to HER account... and then written her checks to your account for payments.

This could end up being an expensive lesson learned. (BTW, some states provide that joint financial records is a basis for common law marriage... you might want to consider that threat!!!)

J

jasonsmit

mooching girlfriend

Thanx for the advice. And yes I was stupid stupid stupid for putting her name on the account. I will try the letter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">