• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defemation of Character by former employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sumacky

I recently quit my job due to a payroll dispute. Since then I have found out that my former employer is giving false, malicious references to any who call for references. I can prove that what he says are lies. I have no proof that his references are the reason I'm having such a hard time gaining employment in my field, but I sincerely feel that this is the case. I have gotten a job at a much lower pay to hold my family and myself over until this can be resolved (if possible). Is there anything I can do to stop his lies? Is this a matter, in your opinion, for an attorney? I have been told by one attorney that the possible financial awards aren't great enough for the hassle of pursuing it.
In my opinion, this has caused me great financial suffering and if there is a way to stop him I need to know. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, I live in Michigan.

M

montyanderson

No need for attorney yet. Find out what he's saying. Get a potential employer to sign an sworn/signed statement that he did indeed say these things to him/her. And obviously arm yourself with the solid proof you have that it is indeed false.

Then determine your damages.

Then write a demand letter citing the laws broken and threaten to sue.

Sue in smalls claims court.

If all fails, consider an internet campaign, to put forth the truth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">