• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpayment of Severence Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ch

I was separated from the military this year due to medical reasons and was compensated with severence pay. Upon my final out, I was accidentally double paid my severence pay by the military by EFT to my bank. I called the Finance office and notified them of this error and they told me I would have to wait until the system caught up with me and they would send me a letter saying to pay back the money and when and where to send it to. This was in early June of 2000. Here it is December and I have still received no word and am still holding the money. I have called back and they told me the same thing. I have to wait for them to send me a notice. How long do I have to wait before I can consider this money unclaimed? Is there a set time limit or statute of limitations on this? The only reason I ask is because my father in law works for an automobile manufacturer and he said if his company overpays them, the company has 3 months to catch the mistake. After that, the employee is not liable to pay the money back. What are my options here? What does the law state is cases of this type? I can't find anyone who can answer this question.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. WHat I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

What state are you from? States differ and military law might play a role, as well. You need to give us the state from where you are and the bank is (just in case), so we can check the statutes of limitations.

C

ch

Thanks for your response. I live in Missouri now. I lived in Missouri when the money was deposited. The money was initially deposited into a credit union in California and was transferred by me to my bank in Missouri so I have quick access to it in case they call and require me to return the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">