• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex boyfriend wont return antique mirror to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

skaley

My ex-boyfriend will not return an antique mirror to me, that was given to me when I was 16 years old. We lived together for 3 years, and split up 4 months ago. It is his house and he says that he does not have to give it to me and he will call the cops on me if come there to get it. Can I have the police go to his house and get my mirror if I have statements from people saying that I have had this mirror, and that it was given to me from a family member before she died. Help please!! Thank you

JETX

First, this is a civil matter (with questionable criminal activities, see below) and unless the officers are convinced that the property is owned by you, they will probably not be able to help. They will refer you to the civil court system. However, if you feel that you can show that the property is yours (or if he is not making a claim of ownership), then you can certainly contact you local police for their help in recovering your property.

If they are not able to help you, I suggest:
Send your ex a certified letter demanding return of your property. Ask that he contact you within 7 days of receiving the letter to arrange a time for you to pick up the property. Advise him that in the event of his failure to contact you, you will pursue recovery of your damages (most small claims courts cannot force the return of property, only monetary compensation). I am sure that you would much rather have the property than the money, so make sure that your claimed value for 'the loss' is high enough for him to want to return rather than pay.

If he doesn't contact you within the specified time limit, you will have to pursue action in the courts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">