• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Discrimination, good cause?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

3dogtown

What is the name of your state? NM

I'm in the process of giving notice with my current employer. It's an awful situation because I love what I do but my Boss is making it impossible. Before I go on, i receive praise on my work and have never been reprimanded. This is a first for me.

I need to file for unemployement under "good cause". There is blatent sexual harrassment in my office, or rather, sexual discrimination. I have been told to "cry in front of my colleagues" to demonstrate my commitment. With a safety issue about parking behind a dark alley, I was told that "us women were not concerned with safety, just lazy." After one (one of many) women cried, he said "I'm tired of working with all these emotional people."

Although these are only a few incidents, the hostility is constant. In fact, I was warned of this from day one, everyone openly discusses the climate so there is much more that could be presented, although it didn't impact me. "I.E. I'm not going to promote here because she's just going to get pregnant."

My question is, does this qualify as sexual harrassment and secondly, does that follow under "good cause". I have no intention of a lawsuit, I just need to pay my bills while I look for other work. I love this institution and do not want to hurt it financially. However, I cannot continue under the boss for these and other reasons. (I am repeatedy brought to tears as he insults all of my colleagues, he threatens my job and tells me that everyone talks about me, says I'm impossible.) He is clearly not all-together and the insanity of the sitution is now impacting my health. There is hope that he will be replaced, but I cannot wait it out as I'm afraid of getting verbally attacked every day that I come to work.

Thanks!

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Whether or not it is Sexual Harrassment is inmaterial to your situation.

The question is, what will occur if you did not report it, quit then attempt to file for UI under 'Good Cause' and that answer is very simple.

You will be denied.

3dogtown

Thank you

Thank you for your help. I do have one more question with regard to "good cause". I am senior management. Therefore, there isn't anyone to "report to". I've told my boss - who is the top of the ladder- that I find the situation unacceptable, but there isn't anyone else.

We dont' have an HR department or any avenues for complaints.

thanks you again.

mitousmom

You should talk with and complain to whoever has the power and authority to "replace" your boss.

You haven't presented sufficient information to indicate whether your boss is discriminating based on sex. Does he treat male employees better than female employees? Is he as hostile to men as he is to the women? Does he only comment negatively to and about women? You report instances where he has treated female employees poorly, but there is nothing to suggest that his treatment is based on their sex.

garrula lingua

Put your complaint about your boss in writing.

Personally, I'd bite through my cheeks before I cried about anything at work.
Have you ever tried giving it back, in kind ?

Senior management ? Can't suck it up ?

Quit, and get another job where you can have a group hug every morning.

3dogtown

Yes, he only treats women this way. No men are ever spoken to in this way. Many of the men in my office have suggested that we pursue a lawsuit. They have even said they would appear in court. Currently there are 4 women (that I know of) who are making notes on every interaction with this boss.

As for the last person's comments- whatever. I and other have stood up for ourselves repeatedly. I work in a field that requires a certain amount of sensitivity. This abuse is both inappropriate and completely unexpected. I don't know where you work. Many women have cried in their offices as a result of the abuse...that's what happens with abuse. I'm just glad that I don't work with you. So Until you are in the position, back off and chew off your cheek. This is a forum for people looking for advice, people obviously in a bind. It's unfortunate that you seem to relish in that.

Everyone else, thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated and I'm grateful for your time.

Last edited:

garrula lingua

3dogtown said:
As for the last person's comments- whatever. I and other have stood up for ourselves repeatedly. I work in a field that requires a certain amount of sensitivity. This abuse is both inappropriate and completely unexpected. I don't know where you work. Many women have cried in their offices as a result of the abuse...that's what happens with abuse. I'm just glad that I don't work with you. So Until you are in the position, back off and chew off your cheek. This is a forum for people looking for advice, people obviously in a bind. It's unfortunate that you seem to relish in that.

Everyone else, thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated and I'm grateful for your time.
I'm a 56 yr old female attorney, married 38 years, & have worked full-time since I was 16.
I have worked in various companies, from sweat shops to NYSE. I have met several pigs at work, male and female. You can't let them affect you. Do your job; do it to the best of your ability; take the high road & for goodness sakes, don't cry (quit first, you'll make yourself sick)
I have been in various situations which could be called 'sexual harassment'. One boss almost had his arm broken, one got slapped. My point is - he would be the one crying first.

By all means, be the moral compass of your company. Post back here, after three years and tell us if you regret deciding to sue. Be sure you are going to win - you'll have to pay at least ten thousand, up front, and forget any future recommendations; also, don't look too hard for others to back you up. Hopefully, you have more than just some statements from him (which is all you alleged) ... as you say you are senior management, I don't think you have been denied promotion.

Can any of the posters give the OP an idea of how much money she has to come up with to sue the jerk boss ?

PS: I volunteered for the Employment Law Center through law school. I admit I have more sympathy for low-level female workers getting grabbed, felt up and threatened, than the senior management female who doesn't like what's said.

You can call the EEOC. They will do an investigation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Can any of the posters give the OP an idea of how much money she has to come up with to sue the jerk boss ?

No. We can't. There are FAR too many variable factors.

eerelations

Garrua Lingua, the OP said she wasn't going to sue, so talking to her about how much it cost to sue is pointless (and a complete waste of everyone's time). All she wanted to know was that if we thought she might get UI if she quit for "good cause" - and someone (maybe several people) answered that question already.

garrula lingua

Read my first post ee.

I advised OP to put her problems in writing, to document the issues for which she is trying to create a 'constructive firing/termination', in order for her to get Unemp Ins. due to the actions of her boss (Document it while still employed).
I did add my personal comment regarding her behavior.

My second post was in response to her comments & had nothing to do with UI; I covered all avenues I saw available to her and I responded, in kind, to the tenor of her post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">