• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a lien be placed on my home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jam430

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

I hired a contractor to do several jobs at my home which was flooded during Huricane Katrina. The contractor got a sub to do sheetrock work and then fired the sub due to poor work and also work not done on time. The sub has since put a letter in my mailbox stating that the contractor owes him for the work he did and he would place a lien on my property if not paid. Can he do this? I had no contract with the sub(he was hired by my contractor) and have paid the original contractor as required in our contract.

Last edited:

CALIF-LAWPRO42

jam430 said:
What is the name of your state? Mississippi

I hired a contractor to do several jobs at my home which was flooded during Huricane Katrina. The contractor got a sub to do sheetrock work and then fired the sub due to poor work and also work not done on time. The sub has since put a letter in my mailbox stating that the contractor owes hin for the work he did and he would place alien on my property if not paid. Can he do this? I had no contract with the sub(he was hired by my contractor) and have paid the original contractor as required in our contract.
My response:

Yes, he can. He has every legal right to do it. You had better go get some pamphlets from your local Building Department on this subject. Those pamphlets will explain Mechanic's Liens, and the rights of everyone, including the rights of each contractor who stepped foot in your house.

You're in hot soup.

IAAL

jam430

Thanks for the advice. I will check into this with the Building Department. What xactly does a lien mean?

CALIF-LAWPRO42

jam430 said:
Thanks for the advice. I will check into this with the Building Department. What xactly does a lien mean?

My response:

It means you're in deep doo-doo. Go get the pamphlets. Everything is explained in them.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">