• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laid off - can't I start my company?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maybewronged!

What is the name of your state? CA

I was laid off and formed a company within 2 days. I am a Marketing professional and my previous employer just sent me a letter from his lawyer that I should not start my business and target the same customers that I had during my tenure with them. I am also being accused of raiding former employees, which I haven't done. I understand that this is competing with previous employee but if I am laid off without any warning what option do I have but to either find a job in the same business or try forming a company in the same business!!! Kindly advise

N

ndecker

unless you signed a do not compete contract then they cannot stop you ,even if you raid away on your old clients

maybewronged!

ndecker said:
unless you signed a do not compete contract then they cannot stop you ,even if you raid away on your old clients
THere was a non-compete that I signed when I started with them 4.5 years back. Will it hold water even if I was laid off - It'd seem I have very little choice right!

Beth3

You're asking us to comment on the specifics of an agreement nobody has seen. :confused:

You need to take a copy of the document to a local attorney to obtain a legal opinion on the contents of the agreement and its enforceability.

evcalyptos

maybewronged! said:
THere was a non-compete that I signed when I started with them 4.5 years back. Will it hold water even if I was laid off - It'd seem I have very little choice right!
Well, 2 choices to be exact.

Keep your agreement per the non-compete that you signed.

Break your agreement in the non-compete and do whatever you want.

I don't really see what getting laid off has to do with it.

C

CALIF-LAWPRO45

maybewronged! said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I was laid off and formed a company within 2 days. I am a Marketing professional and my previous employer just sent me a letter from his lawyer that I should not start my business and target the same customers that I had during my tenure with them. I am also being accused of raiding former employees, which I haven't done. I understand that this is competing with previous employee but if I am laid off without any warning what option do I have but to either find a job in the same business or try forming a company in the same business!!! Kindly advise

My response:

Here's a News Flash: "Non-Compete" Agreements are illegal, and wholly, unenforceable in California.

An employee's covenant not to compete with his or her employer is unenforceable under Ca Bus & Prof § 16600.

Covenants Not to Compete Generally Void:
"Except as provided in this chapter, every contract by which anyone is restrained from engaging in a lawful profession, trade, or business of any kind is to that extent void." [Ca Bus & Prof § 16600 (emphasis added)]

Public policy:
California courts have consistently declared this provision an expression of public policy to ensure that citizens shall retain the right to pursue any lawful employment and enterprise of their choice. [Metro Traffic Control, Inc. v. Shadow Traffic Network (1994) 22 Cal.App.4th 853, 859, 27 Cal.Rptr.2d 573, 577]

The interests of employees in their own mobility and betterment are deemed paramount to the competitive business interests of employers, where neither the employee nor his or her new employer has committed any illegal act accompanying the employment change. [D'sa v. Playhut, Inc. (2000) 85 Cal.App.4th 927, 933, 102 Cal.Rptr.2d 495, 499]

Effect:
Despite having agreed not to compete, a former employee has the right to enter into competition with his or her former employer, even for the business of those who had formerly been customers of the former employer. [Muggill v. Reuben H. Donnelley Corp. (1965) 62 Cal.2d 239, 242, 42 Cal.Rptr. 107, 109] It makes no difference that the covenant not to compete is reasonably limited in time and geographic scope. [KGB, Inc. v. Giannoulas (1980) 104 Cal.App.3d 844, 853, 164 Cal.Rptr. 571, 580]

Limitation--no unfair competition:
The only limitation is that the former employee's competition must be fairly and legally conducted (e.g., disclosure of former employer's trade secrets or other confidential information may be regarded as unfair competition). [Rigging Int'l Maint. Co. v. Gwin (1982) 128 Cal.App.3d 594, 606, 180 Cal.Rptr. 451, 457; John F. Matull & Assocs., Inc. v. Cloutier (1987) 194 Cal.App.3d 1049, 1055, 240 Cal.Rptr. 211, 214--upholding injunction preventing former employee from soliciting former employer's clients without determining whether the customer list was a trade secret]

Application:
An employment agreement provided in part: "Employee will not render services, directly or indirectly, for a period of one year after separation of employment with (Employer) to any person or entity in connection with any 'competing product' (as defined in the agreement)." This covenant was held to violate Ca Bus & Prof § 16600 and was therefore void and unenforceable. [D'sa v. Playhut, Inc. (2000) 85 Cal.App.4th 927, 931, 102 Cal.Rptr.2d 495, 498 (parentheses added)] The covenant could not be upheld merely as an agreement not to disclose trade secrets because other provisions of the agreement provided for confidentiality. The fact that the covenant not to compete was limited to one year made no difference. [D'sa v. Playhut, Inc., supra, 85 Cal.App.4th at 935, 102 Cal.Rptr.2d at 501]

IAAL

maybewronged!

CALIF-LAWPRO45 said:
My response:

Here's a News Flash: "Non-Compete" Agreements are illegal, and wholly, unenforceable in California.

An employee's covenant not to compete with his or her employer is unenforceable under Ca Bus & Prof § 16600.

Covenants Not to Compete Generally Void:
"Except as provided in this chapter, every contract by which anyone is restrained from engaging in a lawful profession, trade, or business of any kind is to that extent void." [Ca Bus & Prof § 16600 (emphasis added)]

Public policy:
California courts have consistently declared this provision an expression of public policy to ensure that citizens shall retain the right to pursue any lawful employment and enterprise of their choice. [Metro Traffic Control, Inc. v. Shadow Traffic Network (1994) 22 Cal.App.4th 853, 859, 27 Cal.Rptr.2d 573, 577]

The interests of employees in their own mobility and betterment are deemed paramount to the competitive business interests of employers, where neither the employee nor his or her new employer has committed any illegal act accompanying the employment change. [D'sa v. Playhut, Inc. (2000) 85 Cal.App.4th 927, 933, 102 Cal.Rptr.2d 495, 499]

Effect:
Despite having agreed not to compete, a former employee has the right to enter into competition with his or her former employer, even for the business of those who had formerly been customers of the former employer. [Muggill v. Reuben H. Donnelley Corp. (1965) 62 Cal.2d 239, 242, 42 Cal.Rptr. 107, 109] It makes no difference that the covenant not to compete is reasonably limited in time and geographic scope. [KGB, Inc. v. Giannoulas (1980) 104 Cal.App.3d 844, 853, 164 Cal.Rptr. 571, 580]

Limitation--no unfair competition:
The only limitation is that the former employee's competition must be fairly and legally conducted (e.g., disclosure of former employer's trade secrets or other confidential information may be regarded as unfair competition). [Rigging Int'l Maint. Co. v. Gwin (1982) 128 Cal.App.3d 594, 606, 180 Cal.Rptr. 451, 457; John F. Matull & Assocs., Inc. v. Cloutier (1987) 194 Cal.App.3d 1049, 1055, 240 Cal.Rptr. 211, 214--upholding injunction preventing former employee from soliciting former employer's clients without determining whether the customer list was a trade secret]

Application:
An employment agreement provided in part: "Employee will not render services, directly or indirectly, for a period of one year after separation of employment with (Employer) to any person or entity in connection with any 'competing product' (as defined in the agreement)." This covenant was held to violate Ca Bus & Prof § 16600 and was therefore void and unenforceable. [D'sa v. Playhut, Inc. (2000) 85 Cal.App.4th 927, 931, 102 Cal.Rptr.2d 495, 498 (parentheses added)] The covenant could not be upheld merely as an agreement not to disclose trade secrets because other provisions of the agreement provided for confidentiality. The fact that the covenant not to compete was limited to one year made no difference. [D'sa v. Playhut, Inc., supra, 85 Cal.App.4th at 935, 102 Cal.Rptr.2d at 501]

IAAL
Specifically talking about the unfair competition, what if the previous customers contact me for business?!

maybewronged! said:
Specifically talking about the unfair competition, what if the previous customers contact me for business?!

My response:

As long as the customers contact you first, and that you can prove, beyond doubt that they made first contact, and that you had no "hand" in soliciting them, then you'll be okay. I realize that the urge is strong to contact them, but if you do, you're playing with fire.

Also, make sure you're not using any company client lists, and that you're not using any "trade secrets" of your former company in your new business.

Good luck.

IAAL

maybewronged!

CALIF-LAWPRO62 said:
My response:

As long as the customers contact you first, and that you can prove, beyond doubt that they made first contact, and that you had no "hand" in soliciting them, then you'll be okay. I realize that the urge is strong to contact them, but if you do, you're playing with fire.

Also, make sure you're not using any company client lists, and that you're not using any "trade secrets" of your former company in your new business.

Good luck.

IAAL
But there's also the information that's available publicly that cannot be deemed as a trade secret, I assume! e.g. we are in the staffing business and there are on site vendors at customer sites that manage all staffing needs. Who those vendors are, is public knowledge. I did business with them earlier and am planning to do that again - is that a problem?! Do you think that can be classified as a trade secret? Is it possible to talk to you? I am at [email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">