• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad tranny left me stranded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elinda2006

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I bought a used minivan, as is, from a Portland dealership. About 6 weeks later, the tranny completely gave out, leaving me stranded. It's been almost two months and I can't get it fixed because I can't afford it. Is there any way to get my money back?

Erlinda

BL

elinda2006 said:

I bought a used minivan, as is, from a Portland dealership. About 6 weeks later, the tranny completely gave out, leaving me stranded. It's been almost two months and I can't get it fixed because I can't afford it. Is there any way to get my money back?

Erlinda
"As - Is"

Every used car for sale by a dealer must have a Used Car Buyer's Guide in the car. Sometimes call "As-Is" stickers. These guides have useful suggestions for used car buyers printed on the back.

Many of these stickers state that the sale is "As-Is." You will give up important legal rights if you buy the car "As-Is." For example, you may have no remedy if it turns out the car has a bad transmission and the dealer didn't know it.

Every term of the deal is negotiable at nearly every dealer. If you don't want to take the risks of an "As-Is" sale, negotiate with the dealer for a warranty.

moburkes

elinda2006 said:

Erlinda
According to the Department of Justice, State of OR's website:

Many of these stickers state that the sale is "As-Is." You will give up important legal rights if you buy the car "As-Is." For example, you may have no remedy if it turns out the car has a bad transmission and the dealer didn't know it.

As-is means as-is.

elinda2006

Implied Warranties

Some states have implied warranties, which means that as-is doesn't always mean you are stuck with a vehicle that doesn't work. I don't know if Oregon has one or if I have any recourse at all. Does anyone know about this?

moburkes

elinda2006 said:
Some states have implied warranties, which means that as-is doesn't always mean you are stuck with a vehicle that doesn't work. I don't know if Oregon has one or if I have any recourse at all. Does anyone know about this?
Not to be rude, but what part of the above posts did you not understand? You have been given the answer to your questions, already. There is nothing more that you can do.

BL

You could move to NY and purchase a used Auto from a dealer an be protected under the DMV laws , but from what I posted , your state has none . as-is .

moburkes

Blonde Lebinese said:
You could move to NY and purchase a used Auto from a dealer an be protected under the DMV laws , but from what I posted , your state has none . as-is .

Oops! I didn't think about telling her to move to NY. I can't believe I forgot that!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">