• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am at a Loss Here!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WGray01

What is the name of your state? TN

I am at a loss here.. I am a server in a high end restaurant. Part of our employment obligation is that we must give a percentage of our tips to the support staff. I don't have a problem with that as long as the support staff works. The downfall of it is that the tip out is mandatory. Poor performance from some of the support staff has been going on for quite some time. Management seems to side with the support staff in stating that they don't have to do but certain things in there job. It is clearly stated in the Corporate training outline for that particular job there duties. Management seems to think that the servers are lazy and are always making the support staffs do too much.. I am an older server and my work ethic is VERY strong. I will do my job and the job of others to insure my guests have a great time and enjoy there dinning experience. The income that comes from the servers to the support staff is the majority of there income. On this particular day I was extremely frustrated by the support staff and his lack of doing his job that I shorted the tip out to him from 10% to around 6%. I was suspended for two weeks and not allowed to get a promotional position I was in line for. There are many other incidences that happen that effect the business greater and those employees have not been disciplined such as I have. What should I do in this situation? I am at such a loss. I don't want to leave the company as it is a wonderful company to work for.. It is just this management team that isn't committed to excellence.

C

CheeseBlotto

Your disagreement with management is purely internal. Assuming you're 100% correct, being a bad manager is not illegal. Live with it, convince them to change their minds, or move on.

WGray01

Thanks

Thanks Cheese.. I kinda figured so.. Wasn't sure if a harassment case was there or not. To me it creates a hostile work environment. The moral of the staff is down and no one seems to be happy working there anymore. I am afraid that if I speak out it will only get me fired..

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A hostile work environment has a very specific definition under the law and what you describe does not come even remotely close to meeting it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">